What's new

1719 Farthing With Counter Mark.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited back to the field where I had dug the 1801 draped bust half dime a few weeks ago. I had dug a blowhole button in an area we had walked by in route to a higher ridge in the field. I stopped to snoop around and started hitting signals off toward a smaller rise in the field. The 1719 farthing came out looking great with a counter mark on it that I hadn't noticed. I handed the coin to Jay who very excitedly made me very aware of the counter mark. Curious as to what counter mark this is, and its story. An Irish Charles the second halfpenny, 1680 -1684. A KG 1730 farthing. The moon and stars button is one of my favorites. A silver cufflink with a bunch of smalls.
Looking forward to hunting the well soaked fields after all the rain we are still getting. Art
 

Attachments

  • 20160929_133113-crop.webp
    20160929_133113-crop.webp
    153.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160930_104552-crop.webp
    20160930_104552-crop.webp
    90.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 20160922_141620-crop.webp
    20160922_141620-crop.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160921_192955-crop.webp
    20160921_192955-crop.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20160921_193028-crop.webp
    20160921_193028-crop.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160929_131538-crop.webp
    20160929_131538-crop.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20160930_110647-crop.webp
    20160930_110647-crop.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 72
Super cool button with moon and stars. I look forward to the counter Mark being identified. Congratulations on the discoveries

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger
 
Holy bat crap! What an excellent hunt! I'm not sure what I like best...they're all so cool! Please keep us updated on the counter mark i.d. thx for sharing, I bet there's much more there...ddf
 
Charles 2nd - very impressive! Very few of those show up on our side of the pond. Pretty nice farthing as well. Congrats
 
Farthings are hard enough to find. One in that shape with a counter stamp is VERY cool. Speaking of very cool......that moon and stars button is a killer find. That thing is awesome. Really great hunt. Congrats!
 
Perfect hunt.
 
I like the little lead gun myself. I have found two. The other things are a bonus!
 
Those are some oooooold coppers. Sounds like an awesome site you're on. Congrats!
 
Port Ewen Ace just posted a NY knife just like the one that you have.

Congrats on the really nice set of finds... cuff lick, counter stamp coin... you a bit of everything. Jealous....
 
Excellent coin
 
That's a home run coin with the age, condition, AND counter mark. Just beautiful!
 
American Silversmith John Coney was known to use several different marks with an "IC" and a crown above.


I believe he worked in Boston until 1722.

Coney was master to Apollos Rivoire. (Paul Revere's father)
 
Last edited:
American Silversmith John Coney was known to use several different marks with an "IC" and a crown above.


I believe he worked in Boston until 1722.

Coney was master to Apollos Rivoire. (Paul Revere's father)

If this is the case, then in my humble opinion....this is Banner worthy.
 
Thats one sweet field you have. Congrats
 
Great Relic and Coin hunt! The moon/star button is very interesting find! :occasion14:
 
WOW - that's an awesome hunt. Looks like you found a prime spot - great variety of cool stuff there. Finding a coin from the 1600s would be mind-blowing - can't get much older than that in this part of the world. Congrats!
 
looks like you had a exciting hunt, what a bunch of early coppers. I like that button and little pistol charm too.
 
American Silversmith John Coney was known to use several different marks with an "IC" and a crown above.


I believe he worked in Boston until 1722.

Coney was master to Apollos Rivoire. (Paul Revere's father)

Wow, thanks for the important info. I cant believe the history associated with the counter mark on the farthing. Great stuff.
 
What an oldie but goodie you found! Nice job!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom