1723 Hibernia Farthing

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a little play time before work yesterday so I decided to check out an oyster mound that I discovered the other day. I found a horseshoe and a musket ball in the mound so I decided to move closer to an ugly tree. I was happy to see a Farthing pop out of the ground. About 2 feet away a watch chain came out. Maybe there's a watch to go with it?

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 95
  • pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 72
  • pot3.jpg
    pot3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 68
  • pot4.jpg
    pot4.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 57
  • pot5.jpg
    pot5.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 28

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
To find a farthing in the ground that old which has most everything visible, including the date, is outstanding! Is the farthing about the size of a US cent? What do you think the iron item is, perhaps a mule shoe?

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To find a farthing in the ground that old which has most everything visible, including the date, is outstanding! Is the farthing about the size of a US cent? What do you think the iron item is, perhaps a mule shoe?
The Farthing is about the size of a U.S. half cent or a little larger than a quarter. It's buying power was a quarter of a penny. I found a couple a few weeks ago and that looked like they were just lost. The sandy ground helps.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the old copper.
The ugly tree probably has some inner beauty going on, quite gnarly looking.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds thanks for sharing :)

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you're killing it with the Farthings- Congrats and keep up the good work!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ugly tree is probably quite old. If we all live to that age, I'm sure we would all look a little rough. :tongue3:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always liked the Hibernia coins! Originally minted for Ireland by William Wood, they were unpopular there and many made their way to the American colonies. Minted from 1722 to 1724 in two denominations, the Farthing a little smaller than a quarter and the half penny a little larger than a quarter. They used to be kind of looked down on as American colonials because circulation here was not verified. Metal detecting finds have turned that around though, as they seem to have circulated quite heavily! Thanks for sharing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little play time before work yesterday so I decided to check out an oyster mound that I discovered the other day. I found a horseshoe and a musket ball in the mound so I decided to move closer to an ugly tree. I was happy to see a Farthing pop out of the ground. About 2 feet away a watch chain came out. Maybe there's a watch to go with it?
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread