Lowcountry, South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1790's GW MOURNING CUFFLINKS, 1810 1/2 REAL AND A CONFEDERATE BUTTON

Man that was fun! Got out this week with a great group of friends. We do it once a year and have a blast. It always is when our group gets together.The house we rented was nice. Not too many places you can walk out the back door gather fresh oysters off the banks and come in and steam em. That was awsome ,Clay did the harvesting Only thing bad about this week was the weather and the land we hunted. The rain got us for 3 days and we couldn't hunt and the properties we landed had either been hit hard or were colonial with no marked buttons turning up. We hit one site that was loaded with flat buttons but that was about it, we dug about 100 buttons none marked though. Now that was a large site but kinda disappointing. Dennis and Mike Scott of First Texas detectors dug 2 pretty nice coins out of if it though. A gorgeous KG copper and an 1812 real.Mike also dug a nice confederate script I button and another 1812 1/2 real out of another spot we found. I know some of the guys were disappointed, but you can't control the weather or what's on certain tracts of land when you have 13 hungry diggers. We haven't laughed that hard in a long time, it was fun as always . We have a great group of friends and I love them all like brothers. Well here's what i dug other than some flat buttons.

The Hun

Attachments

• mardireal.JPG
    mardireal.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 541
  • mardisc.JPG
    mardisc.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 535
  • mardiscb.JPG
    mardiscb.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 488
  • mardiscc1.JPG
    mardiscc1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 513
  • mardicb.JPG
    mardicb.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 525
  • mardicuff.JPG
    mardicuff.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 928
Upvote 17
OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like this. Well this one's not holed and found in the same area as your friends who chose T. D. loyalty over my friendship. Wonder what its worth? As if thats really what relic hunters should really be concentrating on. But yeah, here on this site we can say or do whatever we please and not get banned. I really don't think I need to say anymore. I'm not impressed by you or Little Texas.

well you hang with a group who supports american digger TV show need I say more? The guy who heads up that site is best friends with a couple of guys on that disgusting fake asz garbage of a show. There's not another program on TV that is helping to destroy the hobby more than that show. You got banned from the TD for associating with people that support American Diggers and who have done all sorts of unscrupulous things like trying to ruin TD hunts by calling archeologists on our hunts.We've never done that to folks who spend their hard earned money for DIV hunts! What the hell kinda people are you hanging around with over there? Ive heard some things about you too that I wont devulge, unless of course you want to hit the gutter more than you already have.Man you don't even know me or Larry, but you seem to have gulped the DIV koolaid .Frankly I don't care what you think,you sound like some bitter old digger to me.Enjoy it over there, not too much fun is it, that place blows but you are with countless others who got the boot for the same reason as you.So quit whining you made your bed so lay in it :laughing7:

The Hun

Last edited:

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like this. Well this one's not holed and found in the same area as your friends who chose T. D. loyalty over my friendship. Wonder what its worth? As if thats really what relic hunters should really be concentrating on. But yeah, here on this site we can say or do whatever we please and not get banned. I really don't think I need to say anymore. I'm not impressed by you or Little Texas.

well you hang with a group who supports american digger TV show need I say more? The guy who heads up that site is best friends with a couple of guys on that disgusting fake asz garbage of a show. There's not another program on TV that is helping to destroy the hobby more than that show. You got banned from the TD for associating with people that support American Diggers and who have done all sorts of unscrupulous things like trying to ruin TD hunts by calling archeologists on our hunts.We've never done that to folks who spend their hard earned money for DIV hunts! What the hell kinda people are you hanging around with over there? Ive heard some things about you too that I wont devulge, unless of course you want to hit the gutter more than you already have.Man you don't even know me or Larry, but you seem to have gulped the DIV koolaid .Frankly I don't care what you think,you sound like some bitter old digger to me.Enjoy it over there, not too much fun is it, that place blows but you are with countless others who got the boot for the same reason as you.So quit whining you made your bed so lay in it :laughing7:

The Hun
Wrong Pete, I signed up for A DIV event that I never even went to or paid for because of work obligations and still havn't gone to one. Although I will say some of the most well respected and knowledgeable scholars and authors of Civil War relics do regularly attend and are invited back each time. People I am glad to be friends with! And I don't associate myself with anyone on the American Digger show. We agree on one thing..........I think that show is destroying our hobby. People who know me know that! So stop trying to convince people on this site something that is not true! No one should run a site and then ban people for not doing everything or thinking like he does! If you want to be in a crowd like that than so be it! And we have met before, at Fort Powhatan, the only paid hunt I have ever gone too and one supported by your Treasure Depot. I posted for 3 years on that site and because Little Texas can't get along with some people he bans me! At any other site including this one you don't get banned for being an individual or having friends that someone else doesn't like! And I wouldn't believe the garbage you have been told about me either. Its funny how people in this hobby love to start rumours about others who are doing well. And don't get the wrong idea..........I have no desire to ever be a part of your T.D. site again as I know he will never correct a wrong. I have found much better sites run by much more respectable people to post. Tell the carpetbagger to stay in Texas and out of Virginia! Dictators don't too to well in this country!

Last edited:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yall are a piece of work. Lol
Still bickering about that old stuff.

Nice digs to all....

James

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool cuff links...I hope it turns out to be a George Washington mourning piece. Do you have these listed somewhere as that or are you basing it on the design from the George Washington Funeral Urn Medal? Nice piece either way but GW would be huge and the first I have ever seen. Good luck

Thanks Ive seen theses listed as such before.I dont know where the GW connection got started, very likely from the funeral urn medal like you said.The little things can't be too common .We had 13 diggers detecting this site and they were from New York, Virginia, california and the carolinas.Almost every digger that attended had 30 yrs experience relic hunting and not one had ever found a set like these. It may be a common find in England , but over here they're not.Heck in England the diggers toss finds from the 17 1800's ,over there they think its junk. I wonder how many diggers on this site have dug a pair like these in the states? Im sure theres a few , but you can probably count them on one hand. Common find? Not for our side of the pond they're not. I remember finding a nice 1795 half dime a couple yrs ago. To the guys in England its a modern piece over here its valued at 5000.00 plus , not exactly what we consider junk.

The Hun

Why the rant? No-one said it was a common find. Read my comments again. 'fairly common image'. If you truely think the above, you need a reality check. I never throw out 18th-19th-20th C. I don't keep (although give away) 'plain' 18th-19th C Buttons, but why would you keep nearly 1000/year examples of the same plain thing? I have no room for that.
On Tnet we like facts, the facts are;
Its rarer to get a connecting pair of 18th Cuff Links in ANY country, than a single one. - Bonus on your part
Its rarer to get them, your side of the pond - Double bonus on your part
Its rare to see them in as nice a condition with lovely patina - another bonus
However, if you make a statement about GW, your going to expect questions on a forum as well informed as we are. If you came up with the proof, not only do I learn something I didn't know but so does anyone reading it. So I was hopeful you would point me in the right direction, but instead you blasted out a perceived British attitude towards what some say to be 'Modern'. Those of us that are serious about History & not focussed on money, love everything we find. However, it doesn't stop us liking one period more than the other. Mine is Saxon/Viking. Otherwise why are you trying to find 18th C stuff & not 20th C?:icon_scratch:

We are known to GPS & map silver cufflinks of this period, although this not silver, we may have GPSed it as a nice example- sound like rubbish/common to you? Did you GPS yours?

Tracking down the makers or an exact match is tough, there is almost as many designs as cufflinks, I've seen (studied) & found quite a few 'Urn' types & never seen 2 the same. Therefore, by its nature it is rare. (therefore, maybe I should have said 'fairly common generic image')

Sadly, your great finds, pictures have been tainted, just becuase you didn't answer a simple question (& I wasn't the first, it was a US member) about the GW connection & went on the Brit hate attack. I will pay more attention next time & not bother.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have differencies with the OP you should save it for somewere else, and not here, the folks who have replied to this thread, did so to comment about the find....not stir up $hit :nono:

SS

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why the rant? No-one said it was a common find. Read my comments again. 'fairly common image'. If you truely think the above, you need a reality check. I never throw out 18th-19th-20th C. I don't keep (although give away) 'plain' 18th-19th C Buttons, but why would you keep nearly 1000/year examples of the same plain thing? I have no room for that.
On Tnet we like facts, the facts are;
Its rarer to get a connecting pair of 18th Cuff Links in ANY country, than a single one. - Bonus on your part
Its rarer to get them, your side of the pond - Double bonus on your part
Its rare to see them in as nice a condition with lovely patina - another bonus
However, if you make a statement about GW, your going to expect questions on a forum as well informed as we are. If you came up with the proof, not only do I learn something I didn't know but so does anyone reading it. So I was hopeful you would point me in the right direction, but instead you blasted out a perceived British attitude towards what some say to be 'Modern'. Those of us that are serious about History & not focussed on money, love everything we find. However, it doesn't stop us liking one period more than the other. Mine is Saxon/Viking. Otherwise why are you trying to find 18th C stuff & not 20th C?:icon_scratch:

We are known to GPS & map silver cufflinks of this period, although this not silver, we may have GPSed it as a nice example- sound like rubbish/common to you? Did you GPS yours?

Tracking down the makers or an exact match is tough, there is almost as many designs as cufflinks, I've seen (studied) & found quite a few 'Urn' types & never seen 2 the same. Therefore, by its nature it is rare. (therefore, maybe I should have said 'fairly common generic image')

Sadly, your great finds, pictures have been tainted, just becuase you didn't answer a simple question (& I wasn't the first, it was a US member) about the GW connection & went on the Brit hate attack. I will pay more attention next time & not bother.

I did answer your question ,read what I said.I said I didn't know where the connection first started all I know is Ive seen said piece descibed as such before. Ive havent seen it a lot because we don't see the urn symbol on things a lot.Ive seen it on ebay before and nobody questioned the item, they paid big bucks for it. Probably some englishman screwing somebody over for all I know. You act like I made it up on purpose or something sheese! I respect your expertise on antiquites but your personality leaves a lot to be desired

The Hun

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wrong Pete, I signed up for A DIV event that I never even went to or paid for because of work obligations and still havn't gone to one. Although I will say some of the most well respected and knowledgeable scholars and authors of Civil War relics do regularly attend and are invited back each time. People I am glad to be friends with! And I don't associate myself with anyone on the American Digger show. We agree on one thing..........I think that show is destroying our hobby. People who know me know that! So stop trying to convince people on this site something that is not true! No one should run a site and then ban people for not doing everything or thinking like he does! If you want to be in a crowd like that than so be it! And we have met before, at Fort Powhatan, the only paid hunt I have ever gone too and one supported by your Treasure Depot. I posted for 3 years on that site and because Little Texas can't get along with some people he bans me! At any other site including this one you don't get banned for being an individual or having friends that someone else doesn't like! And I wouldn't believe the garbage you have been told about me either. Its funny how people in this hobby love to start rumours about others who are doing well. And don't get the wrong idea..........I have no desire to ever be a part of your T.D. site again as I know he will never correct a wrong. I have found much better sites run by much more respectable people to post. Tell the carpetbagger to stay in Texas and out of Virginia! Dictators don't too to well in this country!

You don't seem to understand why folks get banned.Both sides hold large hunts.A couple hundred people pay 250 300 each to attend these hunts.They also pay for hotel rooms , gas, food , many come 1000's of miles to attend.These are large investments.Your hero over there and a few of his leghumpers feel the need to try to ruin these peoples hunts and investments, by calling archeologists on our hunts, (yes they have done this in the past) once a person signs up for DIV they become a liability. Our huntsites are in jeopardy of being compromised and all the folks attending our hunts get screwed.Its all because a certain individual has such an extreme ax to grind with Larry he'd screw 200 folks out of their money and good time .Not only that he disregards what the consquences of ratting relic hunters out to arche's does to relic hunting in Virginia. It gives the arche's even more ammunition to shut down relic hunting in Virginia, but did he care? Nope all he cares about is his grudge.This same group tried to get me fired from my job, same group called Larry's wife saying he's running around on her in Virginia.Oh there's a lot more but you get my drift.Mighty fine group you hang with over there. Not once have we ever tried to call arche's on one of his hunts, or do anything for that matter.You signed up for one of his hunts whether you went or not your intention was to go.Instant liability sorry, we have to protect the people that go to our hunts, thats why you got banned, nothing else. In actuality you're probably not a bad guy, you just didn't realize the gravity of the situation and how bad it is. Trust me its bad!

The Hun

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one killer hunt!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You don't seem to understand why folks get banned.Both sides hold large hunts.A couple hundred people pay 250 300 each to attend these hunts.They also pay for hotel rooms , gas, food , many come 1000's of miles to attend.These are large investments.Your hero over there and a few of his leghumpers feel the need to try to ruin these peoples hunts and investments, by calling archeologists on our hunts, (yes they have done this in the past) once a person signs up for DIV they become a liability. Our huntsites are in jeopardy of being compromised and all the folks attending our hunts get screwed.Its all because a certain individual has such an extreme ax to grind with Larry he'd screw 200 folks out of their money and good time .Not only that he disregards what the consquences of ratting relic hunters out to arche's does to relic hunting in Virginia. It gives the arche's even more ammunition to shut down relic hunting in Virginia, but did he care? Nope all he cares about is his grudge.This same group tried to get me fired from my job, same group called Larry's wife saying he's running around on her in Virginia.Oh there's a lot more but you get my drift.Mighty fine group you hang with over there. Not once have we ever tried to call arche's on one of his hunts, or do anything for that matter.You signed up for one of his hunts whether you went or not your intention was to go.Instant liability sorry, we have to protect the people that go to our hunts, thats why you got banned, nothing else. In actuality you're probably not a bad guy, you just didn't realize the gravity of the situation and how bad it is. Trust me its bad!

The Hun
I think its about time I put my energy in finding more relics and end this fruitless feud. I was invited to go to the DIV hunt by a well known digger and author because of the years I have put into this hobby and my dedication to it. I started finding relics when I was 14...............many years before you even held a metal detector......... and can tell you without a doubt it has been the one thing that has given me the most enjoyment in my life. I didn't know of the "unwritten rules" as one of your fellow T. D. board members and friend at the time later told me as if I should have known better. What was surprising was he didn't stand up for me and explain how I didn't know but now I know why. You are right ........I am a good guy and would help any fellow relic hunter any way I could and always give people a second chance to redeem themselves as I know I have made my mistakes in life and paid my dues. But there are too many people in this hobby now for all the wrong reasons. The things you mentioned that were done to you and him are things I would never do. Then again I wouldn't ban someone who had so regularly posted on my site either without ascertaining the facts beforehand. Nor would I pimp myself out and throw away friendships over the allure of finding more relics. Once again greed and monetary gain has risen its ugly head and thats not what this hobby is all about. I'm sure my finds without a doubt brought many people to his site. I will say I have enjoyed looking at your finds over the years and its really not you I have this disagreement with. I just have a hard time understanding why you and other people connected to the T.D. site continue to allow this sort of thing to happen. But like I said my feud is over. I can guarantee you I will continue to find relics without the help of organized hunts and I will continue to post my finds at the sites I have been where people are respected as individuals and as people who are striving to save history without the threat of getting banned. I'm sure you can understand why I have no respect for this guy. He will never change and I am glad I am not like him, nor do I ever want to associate myself with him............... and I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did answer your question ,read what I said.I said I didn't know where the connection first started all I know is Ive seen said piece descibed as such before. Ive havent seen it a lot because we don't see the urn symbol on things a lot.Ive seen it on ebay before and nobody questioned the item, they paid big bucks for it. Probably some englishman screwing somebody over for all I know. You act like I made it up on purpose or something sheese! I respect your expertise on antiquites but your personality leaves a lot to be desired

The Hun

It helps if you quote or answer the questions in order, it makes it easier to follow. Argentium asked first & there was no quoting/answer to him, then I asked a similar question & no answer. I saw you had replied further down, but you seem to want to continue to Brit Bash. That's fine I'm here & can take it, & if you read all that I say, you will realise, I did not believe you were making it up. I found it an odd statement knowing what I do, but I was really hoping for some insight into the source of the information. Now we think/know its ebay everything adds up. Also whilst discussing ebay, maybe you didn't realise its your side of the pond that buy them cheap off us (I know this for a fact/we are not knowledgeable in the US Market) & they sell them over there as being 'US found' (its only these with the accosiated history/provenance that gets the money, no-one from the US getting it posted from the UK would believe it was found in the US). I'm surprised people haven't realised this yet? So be careful out there.
Anyway, my point is, until you let one off, I had no beef with you & no thought that you made it up, I'm sorry you got offended & I have no ill feelings & I'm still here if you want ID help. You do well with your hunts & your finds, so continued good luck to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It helps if you quote or answer the questions in order, it makes it easier to follow. Argentium asked first & there was no quoting/answer to him, then I asked a similar question & no answer. I saw you had replied further down, but you seem to want to continue to Brit Bash. That's fine I'm here & can take it, & if you read all that I say, you will realise, I did not believe you were making it up. I found it an odd statement knowing what I do, but I was really hoping for some insight into the source of the information. Now we think/know its ebay everything adds up. Also whilst discussing ebay, maybe you didn't realise its your side of the pond that buy them cheap off us (I know this for a fact/we are not knowledgeable in the US Market) & they sell them over there as being 'US found' (its only these with the accosiated history/provenance that gets the money, no-one from the US getting it posted from the UK would believe it was found in the US). I'm surprised people haven't realised this yet? So be careful out there.
Anyway, my point is, until you let one off, I had no beef with you & no thought that you made it up, I'm sorry you got offended & I have no ill feelings & I'm still here if you want ID help. You do well with your hunts & your finds, so continued good luck to you.

Thanks bud

I appreciate it. I have no ill feelings towards you either and will welcome your expertise on future finds. Take care and good luck on your future hunts.I love viewing the ancient finds you guys make.I cant imagine what its like to find a gold coin that goes back to when Jesus was walking around. Now that would be a find!

The Hun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread