Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1790's GW MOURNING CUFFLINKS, 1810 1/2 REAL AND A CONFEDERATE BUTTON

Man that was fun! Got out this week with a great group of friends. We do it once a year and have a blast. It always is when our group gets together.The house we rented was nice. Not too many places you can walk out the back door gather fresh oysters off the banks and come in and steam em. That was awsome ,Clay did the harvesting Only thing bad about this week was the weather and the land we hunted. The rain got us for 3 days and we couldn't hunt and the properties we landed had either been hit hard or were colonial with no marked buttons turning up. We hit one site that was loaded with flat buttons but that was about it, we dug about 100 buttons none marked though. Now that was a large site but kinda disappointing. Dennis and Mike Scott of First Texas detectors dug 2 pretty nice coins out of if it though. A gorgeous KG copper and an 1812 real.Mike also dug a nice confederate script I button and another 1812 1/2 real out of another spot we found. I know some of the guys were disappointed, but you can't control the weather or what's on certain tracts of land when you have 13 hungry diggers. We haven't laughed that hard in a long time, it was fun as always . We have a great group of friends and I love them all like brothers. Well here's what i dug other than some flat buttons.

The Hun

Attachments

• mardireal.JPG
    mardireal.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 541
  • mardisc.JPG
    mardisc.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 535
  • mardiscb.JPG
    mardiscb.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 488
  • mardiscc1.JPG
    mardiscc1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 513
  • mardicb.JPG
    mardicb.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 525
  • mardicuff.JPG
    mardicuff.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 928
Upvote 17
OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool cuff links...I hope it turns out to be a George Washington mourning piece. Do you have these listed somewhere as that or are you basing it on the design from the George Washington Funeral Urn Medal? Nice piece either way but GW would be huge and the first I have ever seen. Good luck

Thanks Ive seen theses listed as such before.I dont know where the GW connection got started, very likely from the funeral urn medal like you said.The little things can't be too common .We had 13 diggers detecting this site and they were from New York, Virginia, california and the carolinas.Almost every digger that attended had 30 yrs experience relic hunting and not one had ever found a set like these. It may be a common find in England , but over here they're not.Heck in England the diggers toss finds from the 17 1800's ,over there they think its junk. I wonder how many diggers on this site have dug a pair like these in the states? Im sure theres a few , but you can probably count them on one hand. Common find? Not for our side of the pond they're not. I remember finding a nice 1795 half dime a couple yrs ago. To the guys in England its a modern piece over here its valued at 5000.00 plus , not exactly what we consider junk.

The Hun

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds! Great stuff.

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some great looking finds! I love the cuff-links and and the coin and SC button ain't too shaby neither. And, for what it's worth, you always take excellent pictures. What kind of camera do you use? You can't control the weather, and like a lot of sites around here, you can't control what is there and who has hunted it. I think you did pretty good! Tennessee digger

thanks the camera is a little samsung pl 120 . Think I paid about 100 dollars for it.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow those are some sweet finds. What state did you guys hunt in? That sounds like a good time!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool cuff links...I hope it turns out to be a George Washington mourning piece. Do you have these listed somewhere as that or are you basing it on the design from the George Washington Funeral Urn Medal? Nice piece either way but GW would be huge and the first I have ever seen. Good luck

Thanks Ive seen theses listed as such before.I dont know where the GW connection got started, very likely from the funeral urn medal like you said.The little things can't be too common .We had 13 diggers detecting this site and they were from New York, Virginia, california and the carolinas.Almost every digger that attended had 30 yrs experience relic hunting and not one had ever found a set like these. It may be a common find in England , but over here they're not.Heck in England the diggers toss finds from the 17 1800's ,over there they think its junk. I wonder how many diggers on this site have dug a pair like these in the states? Im sure theres a few , but you can probably count them on one hand. Common find? Not for our side of the pond they're not. I remember finding a nice 1795 half dime a couple yrs ago. To the guys in England its a modern piece over here its valued at 5000.00 plus , not exactly what we consider junk.

The Hun
Nice finds and a great hunt you had...but I certainly don't throw finds from the 1700's or 1800's into the junk pile :nono: and I don't see any concrete proof that these cuff-links are GW related, but more of the mourning conection in general, even though they slip into the general date period.

SS

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and a great hunt you had...but I certainly don't throw finds from the 1700's or 1800's into the junk pile :nono: and I don't see any concrete proof that these cuff-links are GW related, but more of the mourning conection in general, even though they slip into the general date period.

SS
Hey bud , thanks yeah I dont have a clue where the GW connection on these got started.Ive seen it a few times over the years.No proof like you said. They date to about the time period of his death and over here the urn symbol on things isnt found like it is in England.Since so little is found maybe thats the reason.When he died then the urn finds started turning up , but not before or after.Its just an assumption though. Good to hear you dont toss 1700- 1800's finds. I thought all you guys cared about was the roman, celtic stuff.

The Hun

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, it looks like someone shot the reale with a .22?

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pete, it looks like someone shot the reale with a .22?

no they holed it on purpose to wear or sew into the lining of some coat. They messed it up when they tried to hole it .Coins with holes done on purpose are quite common finds on old sites. Whats bad is when you find a real rare coin thats been holed.My buddy dug one last month in Virginia.It was a 1794 half dime.Even with the hole it was appraised at 3000.00 dollars. Imagine if it had been perfect whew!

The Hun

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a nice score !

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like this. Well this one's not holed and found in the same area as your friends who chose T. D. loyalty over my friendship. Wonder what its worth? As if thats really what relic hunters should really be concentrating on. But yeah, here on this site we can say or do whatever we please and not get banned. I really don't think I need to say anymore. I'm not impressed by you or Little Texas.

Attachments

• P1100095.JPG
    P1100095.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, A great combo of history along with MDing skill & luck...Again I say very very nice

H

Holly_squirrel

I'm jealous , I'll never find anything in that good of shape around here. This heavy wet clay soil eats coins . Great job! Wonderful finds

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Those are awesome finds just like what has already been said by other posters. Thanks for sharing Pete :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread