1794 LIBERTY CAP LARGE CENT with brand new AT PRO

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro POinter AT, Bounty Hunter LoneStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my new AT Pro on Weds and found this on Thursday at a farmhouse. Less than 3 hours on the new machine. I LOVE IT!!! My Bounty Hunter is now in the corner crying. LOL....After Examining thru a magnifying glass i am pretty sure it is a 1794 with the exact face of the 1795. To me it doesn't really matter. It's a LIberty cap cent!!! 1794.jpg 1794.jpg 1794-2.jpg 1794-3.jpg

thanks for looking.

Upvote 23

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. Love them old large coppers:occasion14:

OP
OP
mtdewman

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro POinter AT, Bounty Hunter LoneStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats. .
It seems things are always found in 2s..
I just found the same coin on Tuesday. .
They are hard to come by..
George

i couldn't believe it when it popped out of the ground. congrats on yours

OP
OP
mtdewman

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats. .
It seems things are always found in 2s..
I just found the same coin on Tuesday. .
They are hard to come by..
George

where in Pa are you?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Nice way to break in your new detector!

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get out olive oil soak that baby should clean nice!!!!!!! Be patient go slow!!!!

OP
OP
mtdewman

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know i am going to start a great debate but any other methods to clean this coin other than olive oil, baking soda or soap and water? I took it to a dealer and he said there is great detail that if i get it clean it would bring out more of it. Part of me wants to just let it as it is. Part of me wants to clean it. I do not want to ruin it.

thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know i am going to start a great debate but any other methods to clean this coin other than olive oil, baking soda or soap and water? I took it to a dealer and he said there is great detail that if i get it clean it would bring out more of it. Part of me wants to just let it as it is. Part of me wants to clean it. I do not want to ruin it.

thanks

I would recommend forgoing the baking soda as it is abrasive, the soap and water as some soaps can change the toning or color of Copper coins and while others recommend using Hydrogen Peroxide, I have found that it can and will damage some Copper coins and sometimes strips then down to the raw pinkish Copper. First off, I would recommend rinsing the coin with water or bath it in water for awhile to remove or dilute any contaminants that may have been in the ground where the coin was dug. Pat the coin dry with a soft towel, then transfer it into an Acetone bath for 5 to 10 minutes making sure to rotate it occasionally. This will arrest the verdigris (the green stuff seen on the coin) that is eating away at the metal in the coin and causing further damage. Once done with the Acetone bath, rinse the coin with water and again pat dry with a soft towel. Next, transfer the coin into a long soaking bath of either (**) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Mineral Oil or Kroll Oil. Rotate the coin every day or so to ensure that both sides are equally treated. After a week, see if some of the compacted dirt, grime and/or encrustations can be removed with a green Rose Thorn or even a light rub of a soft fingertip. Warning: Do not rub the coin vigorously as this can cause the loosened dirt, grime and/or encrustations to scratch the coin's surfaces. The coin may have to soak in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Mineral Oil or Kroll Oil for several weeks or even several months to obtain the desired results. Once you feel that no more dirt, grime and/or encrustations can be removed, rinse the coin very well with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, let air dry for 30 minutes to an hour, then place the coin in a protective 2x2 coin holder. (**) Note: Some folks prefer using Mineral Oil or even Kroll Oil over Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This is due to the fact that Extra Virgin Olive Oil can and will turn some Copper coins darker the longer it remains soaking in it. Myself, I normally use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, especially on heavily encrusted coins due to the slight acidity in the Oil which tends to eat away and loosen encrustations more readily than the other two Oils. Of course, an individual could try one of the Oils and if it doesn't appear to be working or working well, one could always switch to another Oil. Just make sure that before transferring the coin from one Oil to another Oil, rinse the coin with water and pat dry first to prevent cross contamination of the Oils which possibly could reduce their effect.

I also want to congratulate you on a nice 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent find!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
mtdewman

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend forgoing the baking soda as it is abrasive, the soap and water as some soaps can change the toning or color of Copper coins and while others recommend using Hydrogen Peroxide, I have found that it can and will damage some Copper coins and sometimes strips then down to the raw pinkish Copper. First off, I would recommend rinsing the coin with water or bath it in water for awhile to remove or dilute any contaminants that may have been in the ground where the coin was dug. Pat the coin dry with a soft towel, then transfer it into an Acetone bath for 5 to 10 minutes making sure to rotate it occasionally. This will arrest the verdigris (the green stuff seen on the coin) that is eating away at the metal in the coin and causing further damage. Once done with the Acetone bath, rinse the coin with water and again pat dry with a soft towel. Next, transfer the coin into a long soaking bath of either (**) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Mineral Oil or Kroll Oil. Rotate the coin every day or so to ensure that both sides are equally treated. After a week, see if some of the compacted dirt, grime and/or encrustations can be removed with a green Rose Thorn or even a light rub of a soft fingertip. Warning: Do not rub the coin vigorously as this can cause the loosened dirt, grime and/or encrustations to scratch the coin's surfaces. The coin may have to soak in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Mineral Oil or Kroll Oil for several weeks or even several months to obtain the desired results. Once you feel that no more dirt, grime and/or encrustations can be removed, rinse the coin very well with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, let air dry for 30 minutes to an hour, then place the coin in a protective 2x2 coin holder. (**) Note: Some folks prefer using Mineral Oil or even Kroll Oil over Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This is due to the fact that Extra Virgin Olive Oil can and will turn some Copper coins darker the longer it remains soaking in it. Myself, I normally use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, especially on heavily encrusted coins due to the slight acidity in the Oil which tends to eat away and loosen encrustations more readily than the other two Oils. Of course, an individual could try one of the Oils and if it doesn't appear to be working or working well, one could always switch to another Oil. Just make sure that before transferring the coin from one Oil to another Oil, rinse the coin with water and pat dry first to prevent cross contamination of the Oils which possibly could reduce their effect.

I also want to congratulate you on a nice 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent find!

Frank

i have tried acetone. (fingernail polish remover) i let it soak for 3 hours and used a qtip and nothing came off. should i use a different product that has acetone in it? thank you for your help.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have tried acetone. (fingernail polish remover) i let it soak for 3 hours and used a qtip and nothing came off. should i use a different product that has acetone in it? thank you for your help.

Fingernail polish has more chemicals in it then acetone. .
Just put it oil, and every couple of days take it out and brush it with a toothbrush. Then change the oil.
Repeat for weeks.
It will SLOWLY get better..
George

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin. I would use the olive oil as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread