1814 Geography Book- LOADS of cool historic info, detailed information about states

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VTColonialDigger. I imagine this book was of great educational value back when so many people never traveled more than a mile or two from their birthplace. Back then, even an adjacent state might have seemed like a foreign or exotic place.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great old piece of history! :icon_thumleft:

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great book - some of the reading gave me a bit of a chuckle.

If you have a moment, would you mind checking to see if there is another page for North Carolina - I was reading the text and, poof, page ended on an incomplete sentence.

Thanks.
-DH-

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you post the peoples republic of massachusetts?

Great book - some of the reading gave me a bit of a chuckle.

If you have a moment, would you mind checking to see if there is another page for North Carolina - I was reading the text and, poof, page ended on an incomplete sentence.

Thanks.
-DH-

I'll see if I can get some pictures uploaded in a little while!

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the temp. at 25 degrees and a dusting of snow on the ground already, I fear that the 2019 detecting season is nearing it's close here in Vermont. As usual when the weather starts getting nasty, I get out my research materials that will aid me in my search for new detecting sites: maps, historical accounts, books, and the like. This evening I was getting out my binder of information and maps, when my eye caught my 1814 Adams Geography book where it usually sits on it's shelf and I thought that would share it with all of you.

I picked up this book last summer at a flea market and I bought it because of it's age, however I found that it also contains a plethora of really interesting information, and detailed descriptions of many of the regions of the world. Of particular interest to me was the section about the United States. For each state and territory at the time, a detailed account is given, and it even goes so far as to describe things such as the Climate, Soil and Productions, and Minerals that are found in the state. However for all us treasure hunters, for many states there "curiosities" listed - or places of interest such as rocks with unexplained carvings in them, abandon indian villages and other natural curiosities such as the "Natural Bridge" in Virginia. There are also the towns listed for some states that banks are located in.

Here's the title page:

View attachment 1769576

And here's the pages describing my home state of Vermont:

View attachment 1769577 View attachment 1769579 View attachment 1769580

As you can see, this book is a little rough around the edges, however I think we all would be after 205 years! :laughing7:

If anyone is interested in me posting pictures of the pages about the state they live in or any other states, below are the states and territories listed in this book:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio
Michigan Territory
Indiana Territory
Illinois Territory
Louisiana
Wow! I would love to read the pages on mississippi

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VTColonialDigger has been very generous with his time in helping people. Those who have an interest in this fascinating book might like to know that you can download all three parts of the 11th Edition of Daniel Adams work (published in 1828) at the link below for free (the 1814 edition which VTColonialDigger has isn’t available):

https://archive.org/details/geographyordescr00adam
Internet Archive.jpg

No subscription, account or log-in needed, no personal information required… just choose the file format you want and click to download. You only need to create an account to access the more advanced features of the site.

The direct link to the book in pdf format is here, and the scan has OCR text, so it’s searchable:
https://ia903101.us.archive.org/14/items/geographyordescr00adam/geographyordescr00adam.pdf

I know that folks can be reluctant to click on hotlinks, but I assure you that’s a safe link to a reputable site called the “Internet Archive”. Essentially it’s an ever-growing digital repository for published material (including images, video and audio/music) on which the copyright has expired or is not being enforced, founded by the American digital librarian Brewster Kahle. For those who haven’t discovered this marvellous site, you can read about it in the Wiki entry here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Archive

Last edited:

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Western Pennsylvania, Mercer county anyone discover anything to mention, old foundations r hard to find obviously but we try

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone sorry for going MIA, I've been very very busy recently, I will get some pictures of those states people have requested as soon as possible. Thank you all for your interest!

VT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread