What's new

1817(13 stars) Large Cent

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cold and snowy is forecast for the midwest. Our season has just got started. Fields are cut and some even plowed but, these finds came from the forest. The middle of no where. Sometimes it pays off to walk the woods with you detector. Most older homesteads or camps are not visible any more so, give it a shot! You never know who kicked the dirt, where there is now a blanket of fallen trees and leaves.
One find was a 1817 13 star variety Large cent. Here's a little history about it. Some 1817 pieces have 15 stars rather than the typical 13 stars. The reason for this is not specifically known, but most often attributed to the failing eyesight of Engraver Scot. The theory is that the first six stars were punched too closely together, so Scot added an additional nine at the same spacing to avoid an unbalanced space after the fifteenth star, thus saving the die; and, from appearances, the effort was successful. The 15 star is the rarer of the two.
If anyone can give some insight to the last photo as to what the round item may be? Update- Mickey mouse lock. Named for the shape like ears on top of the lock
Thanks! HHHH
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,058
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 785
Upvote 0
It's all good in the woods. :thumbsup:
Nice relics Mike. Congrats on that LC. :hello2:
Is that plate made of pewter?
Anything on the back of the spoon to narrow down it's age? :icon_scratch:
-Doug-
 
:hello: Hey Doug. Yes I believe the plate is pewter and did you know that thing was a good foot and half deep? The spoon I figured is early 1900's I'd say
 
You're still popping them out! :thumbsup:
 
Heck of a spot you have there, I'd be hitting it a few more times,
 
Nice going on the LC! I also found an 1817 (13 stars) earlier this year.

Congrats!!
 
Great story and finds 4-H !! I hope 13 stars LC is worth $$ The round object in the last picture is a Cent :laughing9: just being a smart a$*::),u must have meant pic..#3 ,looks like a padlock..also ,is that a pewter plate? Looks like the old timers dropped plates too ;D
 
CMDiamonddawg said:
Great story and finds 4-H !! I hope 13 stars LC is worth $$ The round object in the last picture is a Cent :laughing9: just being a smart a$*::),u must have meant pic..#3 ,looks like a padlock..also ,is that a pewter plate? Looks like the old timers dropped plates too ;D
the 15 star is worth alot more then the 13 star.. congrats on the lc
 
You made some nice finds there 4-H.....Matt
 
creeper71 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Great story and finds 4-H !! I hope 13 stars LC is worth $$ The round object in the last picture is a Cent :laughing9: just being a smart a$* ::),u must have meant pic..#3 ,looks like a padlock..also ,is that a pewter plate? Looks like the old timers dropped plates too ;D
the 15 star is worth alot more then the 13 star.. congrats on the lc
You are right. Yes indeed there are 2 1817 Large cents, one has 13 stars on the obverse (Liberty side) and the other 15. The 15 star is the rarer one. In grade good-details on liberty's head partly visible. Even wear in date and legends 13 star $18, 15 star $28. In grade very good-Liberty in head band, date and legends clear, part of hair cord visible 13 star $22, 15 star $35. In grade fine-all hair lines visible, hair cords uniformly visible. 13 star $28, 15 star $44. In higher grades were the design becomes sharper as is not so flat you go to $52-$90 13 star and $100-$450 for 15 star. Values given are about what a dealer would pay. The coin needs to be graded, see a coin club member, a coin dealer, if none in your area email me and I will give you an email address to send quality photo's or scans.
Source(s):
47 years a numismatist, Grading guides, Coin Dealers Newsletter, red Book A duide to U.S. Coins.

Also, I'm told that last photo I was inquiring about is indeed a lock.
A mickey mouse lock I'm told because of the ears on top of the lock.
 
4-H said:
creeper71 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Great story and finds 4-H !! I hope 13 stars LC is worth $$ The round object in the last picture is a Cent :laughing9: just being a smart a$* ::),u must have meant pic..#3 ,looks like a padlock..also ,is that a pewter plate? Looks like the old timers dropped plates too ;D
the 15 star is worth alot more then the 13 star.. congrats on the lc
You are right. Yes indeed there are 2 1817 Large cents, one has 13 stars on the obverse (Liberty side) and the other 15. The 15 star is the rarer one. In grade good-details on liberty's head partly visible. Even wear in date and legends 13 star $18, 15 star $28. In grade very good-Liberty in head band, date and legends clear, part of hair cord visible 13 star $22, 15 star $35. In grade fine-all hair lines visible, hair cords uniformly visible. 13 star $28, 15 star $44. In higher grades were the design becomes sharper as is not so flat you go to $52-$90 13 star and $100-$450 for 15 star. Values given are about what a dealer would pay. The coin needs to be graded, see a coin club member, a coin dealer, if none in your area email me and I will give you an email address to send quality photo's or scans.
Source(s):
47 years a numismatist, Grading guides, Coin Dealers Newsletter, red Book A duide to U.S. Coins.

Also, I'm told that last photo I was inquiring about is indeed a lock.
A mickey mouse lock I'm told because of the ears on top of the lock.
Thanks for the info guy's ! Great coin never the less :thumbsup: Mickey M lock :icon_scratch: ??? :read2:
 
Nice finds Mike ! Not sure on the lock I have a cw ammo box lock somewhere ?? You keep pulling out the goods. Rained here today and all day tomorrow. Take care.
 
TnMountains said:
Nice finds Mike ! Not sure on the lock I have a cw ammo box lock somewhere ?? You keep pulling out the goods. Rained here today and all day tomorrow. Take care.
Thanks Richard! I sa another lock online identical and my friend Daryl (Bioprofessor) Has the Identical one. He said it was a mickey mouse style lock but, I have no clue as to the date.

How's that venison stewing up?
 
Nice old Large Cent. :icon_thumright: See some silver and an Indian mixed in there too. :icon_thumright:
 
Great relics, Mike, and of course I love the 1817 penny.

In a strange coincidence, at a site I hunted this October I also found an 1817 large cent and part of a Mickey Mouse type lock, or at least it looks just like one. I believe the site where I found mine dates to no later than 1840 or so, and possibly more like 1820. If that helps any.

If I can dig up a pic, I'll show you the one I found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom