1827 King William I - in Mass!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I searched near a cellar hole dating back to at least the 1850s. The only good target I got was this small copper from the Netherlands. The coin is about the size of a nickel and was issued during the reign of King William I in 1827. I know Americans used coins from other countries in the early years of the United States, but this one still surprised me. While I suspect most would rather find a large cent from that era, I think this was still a pretty cool find, I wish it looked like the non-dug one though 😁, but the soil around here is tough on coppers. Good luck. Happy hunting.
IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg
IMG_5091.jpeg IMG_5075.jpeg

Upvote 25

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I searched near a cellar hole dating back to at least the 1850s. The only good target I got was this small copper from the Netherlands. The coin is about the size of a nickel and was issued during the reign of King William I in 1827. I know Americans used coins from other countries in the early years of the United States, but this one still surprised me. While I suspect most would rather find a large cent from that era, I think this was still a pretty cool find, I wish it looked like the non-dug one though 😁, but the soil around here is tough on coppers. Good luck. Happy hunting.
View attachment 2081018 View attachment 2081019 View attachment 2081022 View attachment 2081021
That's a super cool find! The detail is still there...I imagine if you clean it...it will need to be carefully done...just a beautiful coin...I would be pretty stoked to find something like that!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 2081018 View attachment 2081019 View attachment 2081022 View attachment 2081021
That’s a really cool coin! Congratulations

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found that one just in time. I would be scared of losing the details you have if I tried any cleaning.
Thanks! You’re right; it spent as much time underground as it could tolerate. I toothpicked the dirt off, which revealed some strong detail. However, I don’t think I will risk cleaning it any further, as the patina is starting to come off as shown in the pictures. I love old coppers, but they just don’t hold up in the soils around here.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a super cool find! The detail is still there...I imagine if you clean it...it will need to be carefully done...just a beautiful coin...I would be pretty stoked to find something like that!
Thanks! You’re right; still a lot of detail. Must have been good copper and well struck. However, I think that is as clean as it is going to get, as I risk removing the patina and detail - oh well.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found that one just in time. I would be scared of losing the details you have if I tried any cleaning.
It's your coin but yes, I agree with Old Dude.
In that condition cleaning in any way will probably result in loss of most or all of the coin's detail.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet another incredible find for us Mass-hunters- Big time Congrats! As far as condition, looks perfect to me- I would envision all that great detail disappearing with any cleaning attempt.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet another incredible find for us Mass-hunters- Big time Congrats! As far as condition, looks perfect to me- I would envision all that great detail disappearing with any cleaning attempt.
Thanks neighbor! While not a rare or valuable coin, it sure was unusual to dig one around here. Any further cleaning is a gamble, so I am going to quit while I am ahead. HH!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread