1833 Hard Times One Cent Token: "I Take The Responsibility" Andrew Jackson\Jackass

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my second ever Hard Times Token (The other being The Merchants Exchange Wall Street, New York). Haven't even washed it off yet. Someone punched a hole in it, maybe they wore it!

"Andrew Jackson in full military regalia coming out of a money chest; holding saber in right hand, with money bag in left hand. Lettering above and below, separated by a flower. Letter H below box. Democrat donkey (with LLD lettering on) standing left; above it "Roman Firmness" and below it "Veto". Other lettering around.

THE CONSTITUTION
· AS I UNDERSTAND IT ·
ROMAN FIRMNESS and VETO
LL.D.

Attachments

• tres438.jpg
    tres438.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 82
  • tres439.jpg
    tres439.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Upvote 23

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my second ever Hard Times Token (The other being The Merchants Exchange Wall Street, New York). Haven't even washed it off yet. Someone punched a hole in it, maybe they wore it!

"Andrew Jackson in full military regalia coming out of a money chest; holding saber in right hand, with money bag in left hand. Lettering above and below, separated by a flower. Letter H below box. Democrat donkey (with LLD lettering on) standing left; above it "Roman Firmness" and below it "Veto". Other lettering around.

THE CONSTITUTION
· AS I UNDERSTAND IT ·
ROMAN FIRMNESS and VETO
LL.D.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THE CONSTITUTION
· AS I UNDERSTAND IT ·
ROMAN FIRMNESS and VETO
LL.D.
Love that token! Maybe clean it up and wear it?
Congratulations 👍

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading that this token was made by the Scovill Button Co. in Waterbury, CT in 1834. This farm site has yielded artifacts specific to the antebellum period. I discovered it a couple of weeks ago and feel certain I am the first to pass a detector over it. Found too many buttons that would have been obvious targets. The 1700s settlers were there but they must have left a smaller footprint.

I've read that as the whaling industry died in this region in the mid-1840s, the whaling boat Captains shifted to moving people to the CA gold rush. The water where the tall ships moored is a short distance away.

Finding plenty of horseshoes.

Attachments

• 20230521_144940.jpg
    20230521_144940.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 12

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find !

Here's a few photo's of a (non dug) Hard Times Token that's closely related to yours - (same size as a Large Cent).
These 1837 Tokens were produced by the next President after Andrew Jackson - President Martin Van Buren.
Your Token and the one below were made during a time of a severe Economic Depression in the US.
I've found two of these Tokens over the years - they are readable but in pretty rough condition.

Attachments

• ZZZ - 1837 - A.jpg
    ZZZ - 1837 - A.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7
  • ZZZ - 1837 - B.jpg
    ZZZ - 1837 - B.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the UK, a punched hole in the centre of a Token was to cancel it & take it out of circulation. Making it void.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread