l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it has the detail of a low AU coin, but I think a professional grader would call it "improperly cleaned and or damaged" due to the rub marks on the obverse and the rim dings.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any Idea on the grade, the front is better than the back. Thanks

The obverse is extremely intact for a coin that almost 150 years old. The details on the face and the shield are usually the first to go. With that said the rim dings on the obverse and obvious corrosion on the
reverse will really drop the grade on this coin. It does have the looks of being harshly cleaned by viewing the fields on the obverse, I believe this coin would probably be body bagged but give XF details as
a grade.

OP
OP
momule55

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The obverse is extremely intact for a coin that almost 150 years old. The details on the face and the shield are usually the first to go. With that said the rim dings on the obverse and obvious corrosion on the
reverse will really drop the grade on this coin. It does have the looks of being harshly cleaned by viewing the fields on the obverse, I believe this coin would probably be body bagged but give XF details as
a grade.

All I did was soak & rinse the coin, maybe fertilizer from the field did the damage? Wonder what it is worth thou?

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The details look to be about AU-55... however it would grade much lower due to the rim knocks and the surface.

An important thing to keep in mind is the surface is critical to grading coins now days. It is likely the surface fields were 'damaged' by a sandy ground or before being lost if all you did was soak and rinse in water (any else would be considered cleaning by the coin industry).

It would likely be graded damaged or cleaned by a grading service.

Still it would likely have a value of something in the range of up to a hundred to a few hundred dollars. It is impossible to be sure of the photos.
It depends on how it looks in person. It is a great find.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread