tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found my first large cent and it is a beauty. This coin couldn't have been in use more than a few years before it was dropped. Has a hole in the middle of the coin. Not sure why it is in the middle, anyone have any thoughts on the placement of the hole? IMG_20180518_131739675_HDR.jpg IMG_20180518_131732784.jpg Other holed coins I find are on the outer edge to be used on a necklace. Thanks and HH!!

Upvote 14

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice large cent! Unbelievable condition. The ground was pretty nice to that one. Not sure about the center hole, I've only seen them holed on the edges as well.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere I have one that is from an early cabin site. I was told that they would nail them above there front door for "Good Luck". :dontknow:
Nice Find!

Iowa Dale

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the large cent. The deep green color is awesome and its not often they're found with a center hole like that. I heard something similar to what la.FurTrade said. the version I heard was that they used to be used to date when houses were built. They would hammer one into something just under the front doorway that had a date of the year they built the house.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holed or not, that is one beautiful LC- Congrats on a great find!

-- Jeff --

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice coin find for sure! Love the patina on it

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the large cent. The deep green color is awesome and its not often they're found with a center hole like that. I heard something similar to what la.FurTrade said. the version I heard was that they used to be used to date when houses were built. They would hammer one into something just under the front doorway that had a date of the year they built the house.

That is interesting and may be true. I found a Model 1849 Colt pistol powder flask yesterday at the same site so that is two dates that are very close. Your theory could be true! Thanks for the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread