What's new

1856 Seated Liberty Dime recovered in Confederate Fort - Shelbyville TN

Mike N Tn.

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
313
Reaction score
1,944
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
I chose to go South to detect the Confederate Winter of 1863 camps along the Duck River today, taking advantage of 80 degree weather. Recovered a beautiful 1856 seated liberty in a fort overlooking a creek.
The coin has an X carved on its face. I’ve recovered other coins cut on like this in these camps, and I think 🤔 soldier might have carved a Rebel flag on the coin, or X is meant for use as a checker game piece per post below. (I added the Trime I dug several years ago from the same camps).
Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7996.webp
    IMG_7996.webp
    868.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_8011.webp
    IMG_8011.webp
    520.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8012.webp
    IMG_8012.webp
    517.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8007.webp
    IMG_8007.webp
    548.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8013.webp
    IMG_8013.webp
    520.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7998.webp
    IMG_7998.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 28
I chose to go South to detect the Confederate Winter of 1863 camps along the Duck River today, taking advantage of 80 degree weather. Recovered a beautiful 1856 seated liberty in a fort overlooking a creek.
The coin has an X carved on its face. I’ve recovered other coins cut on like this in these camps, and I think 🤔 soldier might have carved a Rebel flag on the coin.
Thanks for looking!
The X makes you wonder if they were using the coin as a checker piece. I have dug flattened round balls with an X on them.
 
I chose to go South to detect the Confederate Winter of 1863 camps along the Duck River today, taking advantage of 80 degree weather. Recovered a beautiful 1856 seated liberty in a fort overlooking a creek.
The coin has an X carved on its face. I’ve recovered other coins cut on like this in these camps, and I think 🤔 soldier might have carved a Rebel flag on the coin, or X is meant for use as a checker game piece per post below. (I added the Trime I dug several years ago from the same camps).
Thanks for looking!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom