What's new

1857 flying eagle, barber dime and more!!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,887
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been a very nice fall. We had a snow a while back which soaked the ground. The tall grass is laying down too. Went out a few days ago and was heading back to the car when I eyballed the flying eagle on top of the ground. If I could kiss those ground squirrels I would. They have underground highways. They also dug out the coat tag. It says Christman Bryon, O Coat. I don't understand how this was used. if anyone has any info please share!
The FOE pin I can't seem to find on the internet either.
Hopefully I can find the part for the 4th of July souvenir someday!!!! Those 1850s coins are a rare site around Colorado!! I had found the coat tag and FOE earlier this summer. The bar token was the only thing to come out when they redid Victors sidewalks. They mostly raised them up instead of scraping down to the good stuff. The barber is pretty beat up. Found it the next day after the flying eagle. The other picture is the backside of Pikes Peak as the first storm blew in. Good gold hunting up there! Hope everyone turns up some rare gold! Happy beeper Hunting!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20151103_082754816_HDR.webp
    IMG_20151103_082754816_HDR.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20151103_082806810.webp
    IMG_20151103_082806810.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20151103_082826818.webp
    IMG_20151103_082826818.webp
    988.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20151103_082836572_HDR.webp
    IMG_20151103_082836572_HDR.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20151103_082901183_HDR.webp
    IMG_20151103_082901183_HDR.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • _20151103_090458.webp
    _20151103_090458.webp
    506.2 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 24
Nice old west relics there ! I like it all - The Flying Eagle cent is a tough find anywhere !
 
Very nice finds. The FE is sweet. Very nice condition... congrats,

That tag is a "coat check". You go out in the cold (it is Colorado), when you arrive at your destination (a restaurant or the like), they have a guy that takes your coat, he gives you that tag, when you return to the coat closet, you give him the metal tag... marked "O", and he gives you the coat on the hanger marked "O". It is the same thing as valet parking.
 
Very nice finds. The FE is sweet. Very nice condition... congrats,

That tag is a "coat check". You go out in the cold (it is Colorado), when you arrive at your destination (a restaurant or the like), they have a guy that takes your coat, he gives you that tag, when you return to the coat closet, you give him the metal tag... marked "O", and he gives you the coat on the hanger marked "O". It is the same thing as valet parking.

Thanks for the reply Tom, I was happy to find these and learn about them! Do you think that is a tag maker, or a hotel or such, or the persons name of the coat? I love finding the hotel tags and would love to track it somehow. Thanks again for the info!
 
The Flying Eagle is killer!
 
Congrats on all those finds. :occasion14: Love the Flying Eagle. That one remains on the bucket list and is once hard coin to find in the dirt.
 
Thanks for the reply Tom, I was happy to find these and learn about them! Do you think that is a tag maker, or a hotel or such, or the persons name of the coat? I love finding the hotel tags and would love to track it somehow. Thanks again for the info!

The name on the tag is the name of the establishment... probably a restaurant, theater or bar. That's a nice find. You ought to be able to use Google to find the joint.
 
That Flying Eagle is an Excellent specimen. It's in great shape.
Congrats on all of your finds and thanks for the pictures.
 
The name on the tag is the name of the establishment... probably a restaurant, theater or bar. That's a nice find. You ought to be able to use Google to find the joint.

Thanks again, I'll check over the local directories again too.
 
The flying eagle is cool to be sure, BUT, that token, even in rough shape as it is, possibly has more value than the eagle cent. A very nice example with the Name and address of the saloon, AND the city and state! Very cool token IMO!!!
 
Last edited:
The flying eagle is cool to be sure, BUT, that token, even in rough shape as it is, possibly has more value than the eagle cent. A very nice example with the Name and address of the saloon, AND the city and state! Very cool token IMO!!!
I love the old bar tokens. This one has a special appeal to me too. I grew up in a suburb, and know this street. This one is a keeper. The sidewalk crew scraped right down to it!!
 
Excellent condition! I've only found one so far, but it's very rough compared to yours! Congratulations!!!
 
Wow. Just Wow. Congratz on the Flying Eagle and other goodies!
 
That's a great Eagle! Still looking forward to mine and when that day comes, I hope it is in as good a shape! Congrats!
 
This is an excellent hunt!

aj
 
Congratulations on the very nice relics!
 
Some great finds you dug there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom