What's new

1863 IH, Silver Spoon, crotal bell

qaela4

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2014
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
1,606
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oldest IH and US coin to date, 1863. A silver spoon engraved with 1906 on the front and C.W. on the back and my first crotal bell. Also a Bicentennial Half, bracelet, a "Cars" car, old wire rim glasses and Captain Jack Sparrow. BiCen1.webp19063.webp19062.webp19061.webpAug13.webpCrotalBell2.webpCrotalBell1.webp18631.webpBiCen2.webp19064.webp
 
Upvote 24
NICE MIX OF EVERYTHING!!!
 
Looks like you had a great hunt.
 
Nice finds ! have you been able to ascertain that the spoon is Sterling -or some solid alloy Silver ?

(I've been putting up a few dumb posts lately , this is likely another one - I don't know that anybody
would have a plated base metal spoon engraved with a date , and monogrammed as well ?)
 
Last edited:
nice variety, good job on your oldest!, a few years older and itd be a Large Cent!
 
Sounds like your spoon is the find of the day....clean up the IH with warm peroxide and the spoon and bell with aluminum jelly :thumbsup: Very nice!
 
Sounds like your spoon is the find of the day....clean up the IH with warm peroxide and the spoon and bell with aluminum jelly :thumbsup: Very nice!

I've been doing the hydrogen with the IH since I got home about 11:30 this morning, just making out the date now, she was "dirty".
 
That Indian Head Penny is part nickel.
I was completely fooled when I recovered a 63 last year. On the E-trac it came in as a nickel.
Nice finds.
 
Captain Jack is best find :tongue3:
 
That type is a Sleigh bell not Crotal, looks like a good spot though.
 
Last edited:
Very nice finds Q4! I like the engraved spoon. Best of luck to you!
 
That types is a Sliegh bell not Crotal, looks like a good spot though.

I even did a search and matched the bell up with some pictures before calling it a "Crotal", yet again, don't believe everything(even with pics) that you see on the internet :BangHead:
 
I even did a search and matched the bell up with some pictures before calling it a "Crotal", yet again, don't believe everything(even with pics) that you see on the internet :BangHead:

Correct, its a common mistake. I guess I'm just anal about these things because its much better if we all use the right terminology, as it stops confusion & gains us professional credits towards our great hobby.
 
Correct, its a common mistake. I guess I'm just anal about these things because its much better if we all use the right terminology, as it stops confusion & gains us professional credits towards our great hobby.

That is fine Crusader, ignorance can only be cured with knowledge. I am willing to learn, it helps cure my ignorance and lowers the chance of irritating people if you keep asking about ID's over and over with objects that are the same. Thanks for the info! :notworthy:
 
Congrats on that half and the IHP. Who wouldn't like to pull those 2 from the depths of the soil? I sure would.
 
Silver is nice surprise! Congrats nice finds!
I like the pirate of the Caribbean!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom