What's new

1870s Padlock all cleaned up!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1870's Padlock all cleaned up!

I found this completely caked and corroded. Rust and clay mud everywhere. It took almost two weeks of cleaning, electrolysis, sanding, polishing, and hot wax, but here it is...View attachment 1325002View attachment 1325003

Before...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465834203.238669.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465834251.233454.webp (and that was after a good rinse and scrub!)

Anyway, even the wife thinks it'll look good all hung up! Lol.

Enjoy!

Steve
 
Upvote 30
Wow one good padlock find - looks very old and thanks for sharing your pictures and story with us and I wish you many more relics and coins finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED
 
Nice lock! I found a similar one recently and have been procrastinating on the clean up. Good work on that one!
 
Wow Scrappy that is sweet makes you wonder is there a chest farther below rotted away and sunk sorry had to go there Great find great addition to your collection!! keep it up my friend!!!
 
Looks much better Scrappy. Coat it with clear coat. HH, Q.
 
If the wife likes it, then that's a success! ha Awesome job cleaning that thing up man. I love finding those old locks just as much as the keys that opened them. They don't make them like that anymore.
 
Nice new Avatar Brad! So fancy!
 
They do look good hanging...
I have a few various age and types hanging around myself.
 
For some reason I can't open the thread
 
Looks Great!!
Now that you've got some experience and know how on cleaning up locks. I've got an old Western Maryland Railroad lock you can work your magic on. Lol
 
I can't open it either. Says Invalid attachment
 
Nice lock scrappy! Probably once used by some rich Victorians to secure their chest of treasure.
Now all you have to do is find the chest! :treasurechest: :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom