Cleaning up Florida beaches one bottle cap at a time with a few silvers to make the work interesting and a nice eyeball find

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started writing up my Florida trip one day at a time and doing the blow by blow like usual, but it started to sound repetitive and really long so I figured a summary post would be best.

I had 3 days of detecting up and down the beach at Cape Canaveral. I spent 3 mornings swingin the equinox over the sand. Over all the beach was much quieter than last time. I’m still finding foil, tabs and bottle caps, but not as many as before and fewer coins and pieces of jewelry. It may be the time of year and it may be that people just aren’t carrying much to loose when they hit the beach. I remember 20 years ago if you saw someone’s butt print in the sand you had about a 20% chance of finding a coin that fell out of their pocket while they were sitting on the beach. These days it has been a 100% chance of not finding anything around the butt prints.

I spent 10 hours swingin the equinox and found 94 coins with a face value of $7.58, a key, a Chilean coin (100 peso 2015 worth about 11 cents US), some jewelry, a toy car, a pair of rose colored glasses, aluminum cans, tabs, bottle caps and foil. Most of the coins came from off the beach around picnic areas and play equipment. Most of the jewelry actually was on the beach.

DSCN2879.jpeg

DSCN2881.jpeg

On one hunt I could see spots along the edge of the dune where someone had been detecting. I could see coil marks in the sand and spots where they had dug and didn’t fill in the hole completely (not a big problem on the beach which is rough anyway). At one of these spots I swung my coil over the hole and sand pile beside it and I got a signal. I scooped and got the item in the scoop. I shook out the sand and hanging from the outside of the scoop was an earring. It is silver and my guess is they found an item in the hole and the earring was there and they didn’t recheck the pile when they were done.

I found 1 silver on each hunt for the 3 hunts there and that makes 9 hunts in a row with silver, 4 of those with gold so a nice streak I hoped to continue, but didn’t. The ring is silver with a stone I’m not sure about, both earrings on the front row are silver and the center one has a quartz stone.

DSCN2880.jpeg

We went south to Melbourne Beach to stay with our daughter for a week. I have detected some of the beaches here and went looking for new spots to try. This area does have occasional finds from the 1715 fleet so maybe I’ll get lucky.

There is a lot of beach to detect, but it was not very productive. Very few coins and not much junk either. Even with the iron turned on because I was getting tired of the silence from the detector. 90% of the coins I found were from areas around picnic tables and areas off the beach. However all the jewelry I found (not much and all small) was from the beach.

In the 6 days I was there I spent 23 hours between the rain showers (and downpours) swingin the equinox and found 294 coins with a face value of $28.67, a spoon, a toy car, carabiners, 3 sinkers, some jewelry, 2 keys, a Bear Cub Scout neckerchief slide, an all brass padlock, and the ever present bottle caps, tabs and foil.

DSCN2882.jpeg

DSCN2885.jpeg

I did find one silver here, a small wave in a circle stud complete with a silver earring back still attached. Not a biggie, but a nice break from the bottle caps, tabs and foil.

DSCN2883.jpeg

Mixed in with the coins I did find a NO CASH VALUE tokens and a 1958 D wheatie. The rest of the coins are common modern clad.

DSCN2886.jpeg

The padlock is a HERCULOCK 800 and is in decent shape. If I had the key it would probably still work.

DSCN2884.jpeg

I also found 3 quarters in coin returns at rest stops while we were on the road, a couple of pennies on the pavement and a wonderful surprise when I got gas at one stop. After filling the tank the pump was out of paper and I had to go inside to get my receipt. When I went up to the register there was a paper on the floor. A nice old 10 dollar bill.

DSCN2887.jpeg

Being up early I got to see some nice sunrises and the ghost crabs were out on the deserted beach fairly often.

IMG_7841.jpeg

IMG_7845.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

IMG_7862.jpeg

In my 9 mornings of detecting in Florida I got a boat load of clad, a few interesting items and 4 small silvers. Definitely an ok trip. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 21

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few coins .... In the 6 days I was there I ... found 294 coins
Your definition of "very few" is very different than mine. 8-) I probably haven't found that many coins in a year. (But then I'm not doing beaches. Not many beaches in Missouri.)

Nice finds. And I love the crab. :icon_thumright:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V
I started writing up my Florida trip one day at a time and doing the blow by blow like usual, but it started to sound repetitive and really long so I figured a summary post would be best.

I had 3 days of detecting up and down the beach at Cape Canaveral. I spent 3 mornings swingin the equinox over the sand. Over all the beach was much quieter than last time. I’m still finding foil, tabs and bottle caps, but not as many as before and fewer coins and pieces of jewelry. It may be the time of year and it may be that people just aren’t carrying much to loose when they hit the beach. I remember 20 years ago if you saw someone’s butt print in the sand you had about a 20% chance of finding a coin that fell out of their pocket while they were sitting on the beach. These days it has been a 100% chance of not finding anything around the butt prints.

I spent 10 hours swingin the equinox and found 94 coins with a face value of $7.58, a key, a Chilean coin (100 peso 2015 worth about 11 cents US), some jewelry, a toy car, a pair of rose colored glasses, aluminum cans, tabs, bottle caps and foil. Most of the coins came from off the beach around picnic areas and play equipment. Most of the jewelry actually was on the beach.

View attachment 2116219

View attachment 2116221

On one hunt I could see spots along the edge of the dune where someone had been detecting. I could see coil marks in the sand and spots where they had dug and didn’t fill in the hole completely (not a big problem on the beach which is rough anyway). At one of these spots I swung my coil over the hole and sand pile beside it and I got a signal. I scooped and got the item in the scoop. I shook out the sand and hanging from the outside of the scoop was an earring. It is silver and my guess is they found an item in the hole and the earring was there and they didn’t recheck the pile when they were done.

I found 1 silver on each hunt for the 3 hunts there and that makes 9 hunts in a row with silver, 4 of those with gold so a nice streak I hoped to continue, but didn’t. The ring is silver with a stone I’m not sure about, both earrings on the front row are silver and the center one has a quartz stone.

View attachment 2116220

We went south to Melbourne Beach to stay with our daughter for a week. I have detected some of the beaches here and went looking for new spots to try. This area does have occasional finds from the 1715 fleet so maybe I’ll get lucky.

There is a lot of beach to detect, but it was not very productive. Very few coins and not much junk either. Even with the iron turned on because I was getting tired of the silence from the detector. 90% of the coins I found were from areas around picnic tables and areas off the beach. However all the jewelry I found (not much and all small) was from the beach.

In the 6 days I was there I spent 23 hours between the rain showers (and downpours) swingin the equinox and found 294 coins with a face value of $28.67, a spoon, a toy car, carabiners, 3 sinkers, some jewelry, 2 keys, a Bear Cub Scout neckerchief slide, an all brass padlock, and the ever present bottle caps, tabs and foil.

View attachment 2116222

View attachment 2116225

I did find one silver here, a small wave in a circle stud complete with a silver earring back still attached. Not a biggie, but a nice break from the bottle caps, tabs and foil.

View attachment 2116223

Mixed in with the coins I did find a NO CASH VALUE tokens and a 1958 D wheatie. The rest of the coins are common modern clad.

View attachment 2116226

The padlock is a HERCULOCK 800 and is in decent shape. If I had the key it would probably still work.

View attachment 2116224

I also found 3 quarters in coin returns at rest stops while we were on the road, a couple of pennies on the pavement and a wonderful surprise when I got gas at one stop. After filling the tank the pump was out of paper and I had to go inside to get my receipt. When I went up to the register there was a paper on the floor. A nice old 10 dollar bill.

View attachment 2116227

Being up early I got to see some nice sunrises and the ghost crabs were out on the deserted beach fairly often.

View attachment 2116228

View attachment 2116229

View attachment 2116231

View attachment 2116230

In my 9 mornings of detecting in Florida I got a boat load of clad, a few interesting items and 4 small silvers. Definitely an ok trip. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread