What's new

1881 $10 Buffalo Large Note

JoyF

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would your estimate range be for the value of an 1881 $10 Buffalo Large Note?
 
If this is what you are talking about,

buffalo.webp

in VG-8=$450, up to $3000 for Unc.
There are 9 Signature combinations and it appears that all are the same value.

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. Welcome to Treasurenet!​
 
These notes were also called "Buffalo Bills" for the obvious reason. Prices for these notes in the choicest condition have recently approached stratospheric levels, with superb specimens on some signature combinations going for well into five figures.
Don.......
 
What two signatories are on your Buffalo bill?

On the right side is Frank White (Treasurer of the United States). On the left side, I'm having trouble reading the signature. I think it is H.L. Speel...can't make out the rest of the last name - he was Register of the Treasury. Hope that is some help. I can post a picture if you like.
 
Got it: White and Harley V. Speelman (F-122) in The Official Red Book. Thanks.
Condition/Grading is the most important factor in these bills. The values range up into the thousands depending upon grade--by a professional grading company. Such a bill in poor condition might bring a couple hundred dollars; one in '63' condition might bring $5k.
You may wish to check Ebay for current listings (asking prices) and 'Completed Listings' (in the left column) for actual sale prices--the 'comparable' figure for estimating the value of your bill based on similar condition.
Don...
 
Last edited:
Thank you for that info. This bill is in relatively good condition with no noticed tears or holes. I've checked ebay and, as I said, plan to list it before too long (when I get the time). Where could I get one of those "The Official Red Books"? Sounds as if it may be beneficial to have.
 
Thanks, Don
 
JoyF,sorry, sales can only be done in the classifieds section and supporting vendors and charter members are the only ones who can list a sale or trade.......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom