Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a 1890's era Schlitz bottle I just found in the ocean, it's from when Schlitz beer was being distributed by Peter Ohmeis.
20230302_160842.jpg

Peter Ohmeis distributed the beer out of this building (254 East 134th St., Bronx, New York), now abandoned but still displaying his name:
ohmeis.jpg

This is an advertisement for the beer from the 1890's when the bottle would have been in use:
service-pnp-pga-04200-04220r.jpg

Peter Ohmeis died in 1928 in NYC while Joseph Schlitz died at sea while returning home from a trip to Germany, a victim of the SS Schiller, which wrecked and sank off the coast of Scilly in 1875.

In situ:
20230302_184603.jpg

The bottle reads "Trade Mark Schlitz Registered P. M. Ohmeis & Co. Sole Agents New York"
20230302_184616.jpg

Upvote 51

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a 1890's era Schlitz bottle I just found in the ocean, it's from when Schlitz beer was being distributed by Peter Ohmeis.
View attachment 2072226

Peter Ohmeis distributed the beer out of this building (254 East 134th St., Bronx, New York), now abandoned but still displaying his name:
View attachment 2072227

This is an advertisement for the beer from the 1890's when the bottle would have been in use:
View attachment 2072228

Peter Ohmeis died in 1928 in NYC while Joseph Schlitz died at sea while returning home from a trip to Germany, a victim of the SS Schiller, which wrecked and sank off the coast of Scilly in 1875.

In situ:
View attachment 2072225

The bottle reads "Trade Mark Schlitz Registered P. M. Ohmeis & Co. Sole Agents New York"
View attachment 2072224
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a super nice relic and great write-up, congrats!
Schlitz Malt liquor was the very first thing I got drunk on (and sick from) at the age of 15. My buddy convinced someone to buy us a six-pack of Talls at the 7-11 and we sat in an underpass and drank them all. 🤮

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a super nice relic and great write-up, congrats!
Schlitz Malt liquor was the very first thing I got drunk on (and sick from) at the age of 15. My buddy convinced someone to buy us a six-pack of Talls at the 7-11 and we sat in an underpass and drank them all. 🤮
The classic coming of age drinking experience we all go through at least once at that age. 😄👍

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2072226

View attachment 2072227

View attachment 2072228

In situ:
View attachment 2072225

View attachment 2072224
Very cool!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow !!! What a beautiful old bottle in fantastic condition for its' age.!
Your bottle would be a stellar addition to anyone's beer bottle collection.
HUGE CONGRATS !!!!!!
Years ago, I consumed lots of Schlitz, & still grab a quart or 6 pack every now & then.
But it has to be in bottles !!! As with many different beers & sodas, from the can is not as palatable to me. Coca Cola in the can is very different than in the bottle for example.
That bottle would be cool to bring in your ice filled cooler with new Schlitz bottles to a beer party with your friends. Just get a nice cork & refill it. " Hey, what are you drinking tonight? " "Oh, I'm just having good old Schlitz in the bottle." Then whip that baby out of your cooler, pop the cork off, take a swig, & freak them out. Good for a laugh & conversation piece. GREAT FIND !!!!!!!!!!

SCHLITZ BEER BOTTLE.png

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great find and thanks for sharing. I remember back in my early youth. Schlitz and Falzstaff were the 2 big brands in our area. I’ve not found any beer bottles that old.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history on why the beer was called "The beer that made Milwaukee famous."
Although the brewery was born in 1849, it was in the wake of the Great Chicago Fire that Schlitz got its nickname. The fire wiped out five of Chicago’s breweries, along with its water infrastructure, leaving no water or supplies to brew beer. It was Schlitz to the rescue, sending thousands of barrels of their beer south to wet the whistles of the beer-deprived Chicagoans who were so thankful to Schlitz that they became brand loyalists.
Don......

Last edited:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!! What a beautiful old bottle in fantastic condition for its' age.!
Your bottle would be a stellar addition to anyone's beer bottle collection.
HUGE CONGRATS !!!!!!
Years ago, I consumed lots of Schlitz, & still grab a quart or 6 pack every now & then.
But it has to be in bottles !!! As with many different beers & sodas, from the can is not as palatable to me. Coca Cola in the can is very different than in the bottle for example.
That bottle would be cool to bring in your ice filled cooler with new Schlitz bottles to a beer party with your friends. Just get a nice cork & refill it. " Hey, what are you drinking tonight? " "Oh, I'm just having good old Schlitz in the bottle." Then whip that baby out of your cooler, pop the cork off, take a swig, & freak them out. Good for a laugh & conversation piece. GREAT FIND !!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 2072363

I literally just did that with my brother and a few 1920s Pabst bottles. It was
good old time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread