What's new

1895 Cotton States and International Exposition Medal

Carolina Relic Hunter

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
231
Reaction score
1,813
Golden Thread
1
Location
Rock Hill, SC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & 900, Nokta Pulsedive, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondered into a new field today not expecting much. The field was very quiet not even a blink of iron and then all of a sudden a large blast to the ears. A couple scoops later exposed this unique gem. I never even knew such an exposition existed, but am glad to learn more about it thanks to this find. Enjoy!

Second picture is the makers mark, but I cannot find anything specific on it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6631.webp
    IMG_6631.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6651.webp
    IMG_6651.webp
    1,011 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 17
I.M. Garfinkel, a Philadelphia-based jeweler and novelty manufacturer operating in the early 20th century.
Items bearing this stamp typically relate to a few specific historical categories:

🌟 Notable Types & Commemoratives
  • World's Fair/Expos: Garfinkel produced souvenir medals and tokens for large public events, such as cotton or regional expositions held in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
  • WWI Militaria: The company is well-known for producing commemorative World War I medals. A prime example is the 1917 General John J. Pershing medal, which often features military encampment designs (such as Camp Dix or Camp Meade).
  • Historical Replicas: I.M. Garfinkel also produced replica or fantasy commemorative medals for historical events, such as early American Independence themes.

Many items marked "Made for I.M. Garfinkel" (or bearing his stamp) are private-label commissions. In the numismatic and militaria community, the company often outsourced the actual minting and striking to larger, noted medal manufacturers—most famously the Krider firm in Philadelphia.
  • per AI
  • Don in SoCal
 
I.M. Garfinkel, a Philadelphia-based jeweler and novelty manufacturer operating in the early 20th century.
Items bearing this stamp typically relate to a few specific historical categories:

🌟 Notable Types & Commemoratives
  • World's Fair/Expos: Garfinkel produced souvenir medals and tokens for large public events, such as cotton or regional expositions held in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
  • WWI Militaria: The company is well-known for producing commemorative World War I medals. A prime example is the 1917 General John J. Pershing medal, which often features military encampment designs (such as Camp Dix or Camp Meade).
  • Historical Replicas: I.M. Garfinkel also produced replica or fantasy commemorative medals for historical events, such as early American Independence themes.

Many items marked "Made for I.M. Garfinkel" (or bearing his stamp) are private-label commissions. In the numismatic and militaria community, the company often outsourced the actual minting and striking to larger, noted medal manufacturers—most famously the Krider firm in Philadelphia.
  • per AI
  • Don in SoCal
Very cool, Thanks! I’ve been looking but have not see the jeweler reference
 
Nice find. Seems to have been a souvenir of the exposition, for which there are other designs too:

Cotton.webp


Also there are a number of other medals from the late 1800s to early 1900s with the same generic surround used by a number of makers, but with different images and lettering related to other expositions and events. This one marked 'SCHWAABS & S CO' for the Schwaab Stamp & Seal Company of Milwaukee, a popular maker of tokens, medals and badges:

Schwaab.webp
 
Nice find. Seems to have been a souvenir of the exposition, for which there are other designs too:

View attachment 2253297

Also there are a number of other medals from the late 1800s to early 1900s with the same generic surround used by a number of makers, but with different images and lettering related to other expositions and events. This one marked 'SCHWAABS & S CO' for the Schwaab Stamp & Seal Company of Milwaukee, a popular maker of tokens, medals and badges:

View attachment 2253298
Yes, I came across a few similar designs too. explains why mine says "made for" instead of "made by". I have not found any other pictures of the one I found yet, but I'm still looking around.
 
Yours is in really good shape too! I've dug only one souvenir fob and it was pretty crunchy.
 
Yours is in really good shape too! I've dug only one souvenir fob and it was pretty crunchy.
Yeah, sometimes that South Carolina soil is very friendly, but other times not so much.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom