1899 elementary school being bulldozed

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
was on my way home from work today and saw the old school that was built in 1899 and closed in 1999 (about half a block from my house) was being bulldozed to make way for a civic center.....one whole section was already in a big pile on the ground......was going to MD'ing the spot that was UNDER the section torn down until i saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. She was from the historical society and works for the local newspaper. She was EXTREMELY upset because the society wasnt notified until about noon today and they weren't able to recover any artifacts or items from the school to put into the museum they are trying to put together. Anyway i ended up walking and talking with her for the remainder of the evening. After she left i got my flash light and explored what was left of the building (first time i had ever been inside) there is still a lot of stuff inside..... anything from old desks (not antique) to office desks, lunch room tables, chalk boards, even the intercom system is still there.

I found 2 quarters, a 1981 Chuckie Cheese token, a 1974 hot wheel, an old toy harmonica, and a commemmorative Dr Pepper bottle. Everything else will be destroyed beginning at 7:00 A.M. tomorrow.

Upvote 0

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Can't let a little thing like HISTORY stand in the way, can we? Poor old school. I noticed this morning, one of my favorite old quonset-type buildings (the Honda motorcycle shop my dad worked in before I was born) was being bulldozed.
Hope you get a chance to find something.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all in the dirt I'm sure. There's still silver there waiting to be found, just keep at it!

Wish I could help! ;)

S

SuperTraqer

It's sad to watch history being ripped apart like that. I work for the Soldier's Home in Montana and have seen several historical buildings demolished, a sad sight. I hope you find some good things there.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude you so missed a killer in with her!you should have been loading her car up with stuff !screw the crap you found she could have been your best Allie!!

OP
OP
Marty-Graw

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i did help her load some stuff up and i found out when they hold their meetings.....right now they hold them at noon but she said she will try to get them at night. i yold her i would love to get involved with the society

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D right off er on....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread