18th Century Cast Iron Pot from the river and other goodies

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I decided to take a weekend off from my local colonial watering hole and travel inland to meet up with good friend Beau Ouimette to explore a rather long stretch of water. This was a 10 mile paddle with a few fords and sites along the way that ended with a bridge that had been burned during the civil war.

The trip was actually fairly lacking and disappointing. Had it not been for the beautiful weather and good company, it would have been a worthless trip.

The first few fords were hardly identifiable and void of anything. Then we hit the ford that I had been looking forward to hitting for some time now and it looked perfect. Unfortunately it was also almost entirely void of signals. I did manage my favorite find of the trip there with an 18th century cast iron pot that was almost intact. I have two more pieces that fit inside the base leaving just a 5" or so hole, obviously not reusable, but certainly will display nicely. There is a very close example here The Keeper's Blog: Iron Cauldrons

Afterwards I recovered a flat button and a fired musket ball...nothing earth shattering. On the way down the homestretch Beau and I floated past an area where undoubtedly slaves were making bricks for the construction of the numerous brick plantations along this river (it is documented by local museums that slaves actually used the clay from the banks of this and other local rivers for brick making). What is cool about these handmade bricks are deformities (notice the pieces of river gravel stuck in the brick and the firing layers).

We finished where I recovered a bayonet not too long ago, a bridge site that was worth a second look. The machines were useless here so we just fanned with our hands and snorkeled around a bit. I was able to identify a few neat items, including 1 (possibly 2) flattened bullets from the civil war. These would have been run over on the bridge and flattened down or impressed in the wood and then ended up in the water when the bridge burned (or simply run over and thrown in the water). I also recovered some complete catridges (3 to be exact). All rim fire and unique. The large one is potentially war related, it is a .32 or .36 (not measured yet sorry) rimfire with an H marked case. The .22 is marked U and the .22 cap is marked US, always think these are cool to find. I wish one were a spencer, burnside or other, but will take them.

I also recovered the nail driven through the chunk of lead (perhaps a cut bullet, but who knows) and a smashed (probably fired) sharps bullet from the civil war. My last decent find was the horse charm made of lead. Not a group of great finds, but they were fun to bring home. The pot will be a fun project and I will post it when I am done, might try some restoration to the missing parts.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    712 KB · Views: 99
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    532.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    585 KB · Views: 127
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    994.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 9
Love the cauldron. They are tough to find almost intact like that. Congrats on the other knick knacks as well! :)

Dan, that is one awesome cauldron! I've been working a site and have a few dozen pieces to multiple cauldrons. Hopefully, once I have enough pieces, I can get enough of them back together to somewhat resemble one.

Sounds like a really nice paddle, regardless of what you guys dug up.

Brad

HGD LOVE THE CAULDRON RELIC AND THE HAND MADE BRICK. I HAVE TO SAY YOU ARE IN EXCELLENT COMPANY . I DO NOT KNOW BEAU PERSONALLY BUT FROM HIS VIDEOS MUST BE ONE HELLUVA FELLA TAKES ALL ASPECTS OF DETECTING SERIOUS. YALL GOT SOME NICE FINDS.

Great finds Dan! :occasion14:
The iron pot is a nice save, a few more years and there wouldn't be much left to save!

Dave

Nice finds! Thats awesome your friends with Beau! I watch his YouTube videos all the time.

Yea he is a trip we've been hunting together for a while now and I am on a few of his videos if you ever want to put a face with a name.

Awesome relics! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back