mrogers07
Full Member
I found my first silver with my AT Pro!
I decided to get out today and do some door knocking. The disadvantage of door knocking in the middle of the day on a weekday is that many people are not home. Anyway, I finally found one house that looked around turn of the last century and the owner was home! She granted me permission to hunt, even though she was sure another guy a few years ago had "cleaned the place out" and all that. Challenge accepted...I geared up and began to get to work.
I started along the sidewalk leading to the porch and almost immediately I had a good, strong signal...regular penny. The same with the next...regular penny. The next one was faint and has a sweeter tone. I checked the depth and it said about six inches. Figuring on another penny, I went after it. After cutting the plug, I checked the hole with the pinpointer. Nothing. So, I went to check the plug. Nothing. I split it open and out falls back into the hole what could only be a silver dime! Yes! The first silver with my AT Pro!
Figuring on a Rosie or Mercury, I went after it, only to see the reverse. I know that reverse, and it's certainly not one of those...it's older! What is that on the back down below? An "O" mint mark! Okay, now things were good! I turned it over and was greeted with the face of Miss Liberty and a date of 1908! I couldn't believe it...my first AT Pro silver and it's a 1908-O to boot!
I was giddy as a school girl! I rechecked the hole and found nothing in it, so I returned the plug and made everything nice and neat again. I continued the hunt, finding a Wheatie that is so encrusted that I cannot check the date and some modern clad...
...or so I thought.
As I was cleaning the coins up to put them in my jar, one of the nickels started cleaning up amazingly well. Gently getting rid of the crud on it revealed a 1945-S War Nickel! Awesome!
So...a house key, some clad coins, an unidentified date Wheatie, a War Nickel and a Barber dime. Not a bad day's hunt and breaking the silver barrier.
I decided to get out today and do some door knocking. The disadvantage of door knocking in the middle of the day on a weekday is that many people are not home. Anyway, I finally found one house that looked around turn of the last century and the owner was home! She granted me permission to hunt, even though she was sure another guy a few years ago had "cleaned the place out" and all that. Challenge accepted...I geared up and began to get to work.
I started along the sidewalk leading to the porch and almost immediately I had a good, strong signal...regular penny. The same with the next...regular penny. The next one was faint and has a sweeter tone. I checked the depth and it said about six inches. Figuring on another penny, I went after it. After cutting the plug, I checked the hole with the pinpointer. Nothing. So, I went to check the plug. Nothing. I split it open and out falls back into the hole what could only be a silver dime! Yes! The first silver with my AT Pro!
Figuring on a Rosie or Mercury, I went after it, only to see the reverse. I know that reverse, and it's certainly not one of those...it's older! What is that on the back down below? An "O" mint mark! Okay, now things were good! I turned it over and was greeted with the face of Miss Liberty and a date of 1908! I couldn't believe it...my first AT Pro silver and it's a 1908-O to boot!
I was giddy as a school girl! I rechecked the hole and found nothing in it, so I returned the plug and made everything nice and neat again. I continued the hunt, finding a Wheatie that is so encrusted that I cannot check the date and some modern clad...
...or so I thought.
As I was cleaning the coins up to put them in my jar, one of the nickels started cleaning up amazingly well. Gently getting rid of the crud on it revealed a 1945-S War Nickel! Awesome!
So...a house key, some clad coins, an unidentified date Wheatie, a War Nickel and a Barber dime. Not a bad day's hunt and breaking the silver barrier.
Attachments
Upvote
22
That's an awesome 1st.
I bet your still stoked. Finds like that feed the fire. It took me 10 months to pull my 1st Barber.. My 1st silver is a similar story though. I got permission to hunt an old house in town, it's pre 1874. The owner said it was hunted 4 times before. My 1st silver was an 1874 seated dime. I pulled it from where some bushes had been in the years past about a foot away from the foundation.






