1924 School Yard Hunt - Where did all these Memorials come from?!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Detected my daughters school this afternoon for 3 hours in 92F heat! :sunny: Not a lot of interesting finds to report, except that I found 9 Memorials all within a 1' radius. In one hole alone I pulled out 6! :o I don't have the foggiest idea how these might have ended up here either! :dontknow:

Totals for the day:

2 Canadian Dimes
15 Canadian Pennies (1-1942)
9 US Memorials (dating from 1963 - 1992)
1 Copper Button
1 Very toasty coin, this ones a mystery. :icon_scratch:

It measures 33.5mm, was originally probably 34mm, worn very thin, I can just barely see a clear rim edge and has absolutely no details left on it! I think it's probably English and very old! :icon_thumright: Can anybody help me with this one! :help:

Thanks for looking and Happy 235th Birthday America! :occasion16:
Dave

Attachments

• July 3 Finds 001.jpg
    July 3 Finds 001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,433
  • July 3 Finds 002.jpg
    July 3 Finds 002.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • July 3 Finds 003.jpg
    July 3 Finds 003.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,424
  • July 3 Finds 004.jpg
    July 3 Finds 004.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,434
  • July 3 Finds 005.jpg
    July 3 Finds 005.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Front Before Cleaning 007.jpg
    Front Before Cleaning 007.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • Front After Cleaning 006.jpg
    Front After Cleaning 006.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Reverse Before Cleaning 009.jpg
    Reverse Before Cleaning 009.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Reverse After Cleaning 008.jpg
    Reverse After Cleaning 008.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,400
  • July 3 Finds 010.jpg
    July 3 Finds 010.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,404
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
A Couple of Cuties :wink:
I think your Cents are now copper plated steel, ours still zinc...
The the way I invest in copper is stockpiling pre 82 (and the one out of 8 or so 1982s) US Cents.
A copper Cent is 2.88 Cents worth of scrap :o
http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html
You can purchase large sorters and Cents by the pallet, though I can't find the site now.
here's an interesting discourse on copper,
"Copper was a form of money in antiquity and it was a form of money in the U.S. We started de-valuing our currency when the large cent became small. A large cent had real purchasing power. Note how our two cent and three cent lost its usefulness. I think the end of a currency is when the least amount of denominated monetary metal becomes worth more than the face value of the coin. We are there now - copper cents are indicating a tipping point in our currency. When we see plastic colored cents like in a board game....we know our currency has failed us with no hope of ever regaining our trust again."
HH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allen said:
looks like your daughter loves her too ! :thumbsup:

She's my daughters BFF! :thumbsup:

steelheadwill said:
The the way I invest in copper is stockpiling pre 82 (and the one out of 8 or so 1982s) US Cents.
You can purchase large sorters and Cents by the pallet, though I can't find the site now.
"Copper was a form of money in antiquity and it was a form of money in the U.S. We started de-valuing our currency when the large cent became small. A large cent had real purchasing power. Note how our two cent and three cent lost its usefulness. I think the end of a currency is when the least amount of denominated monetary metal becomes worth more than the face value of the coin. We are there now - copper cents are indicating a tipping point in our currency. When we see plastic colored cents like in a board game....we know our currency has failed us with no hope of ever regaining our trust again."

Herbie your right about our CDN Pennies now being copper plated steel. When they come out of the ground, all the grass sticks to the plating and they look like they're growing a beard! :laughing7: I just hope tumbling will help clean them up enough for the banks coin counter to accept them when I turn them in this winter! :dontknow:

I'll have to look into saving my "copper cents" and selling them for scrap like you do with your pre-1982's. :icon_thumright:

Have a great weekend buddy,
Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
ANTIQUARIAN said:
allen said:
looks like your daughter loves her too ! :thumbsup:

She's my daughters BFF! :thumbsup:

steelheadwill said:

Herbie your right about our CDN Pennies now being copper plated steel. When they come out of the ground, all the grass sticks to the plating and they look like they're growing a beard! :laughing7: I just hope tumbling will help clean them up enough for the banks coin counter to accept them when I turn them in this winter! :dontknow:

I'll have to look into saving my "copper cents" and selling them for scrap like you do with your pre-1982's. :icon_thumright:

Have a great weekend buddy,
Dave
Hi Dave,
I get 'Bearded Coins' too, that's funny :laughing7:
I haven't sold any as scrap, (I have enough trouble with the Federales )
I just stockpile em, maybe someday we'll need them...

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Herbie!

I'm separating my copper & brass scrap as I'm typing . . .
mostly because I can't tell the difference between the two! :laughing7:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread