1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I sew a 1926 Oregon Trail coin for sale at a local shop , the price was 100 dollars ,
I could not see the coin up close as I was in a hurry but the coin did look shiny [not polished ] but was likely cleaned.

My April price guide lists the[retail] price at $135.00 in AU.

I may give it a closer look tomorrow.

My question if in AU condition but cleaned would this be a good price to pay?
if the coin turns out to be XF BUT CLEANED it would be a no go for me.

Just wanted some opinions , have always loved the design, but would rather own a 1928 0r 1930s coin instead but a 1926 is better than nothing.

Thanks ahead for any replys
Davers:thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be just me but if the coin is AU and shows evidence or possible evidence of being cleaned or dipped, I would pass. I assume that you have to pay taxes on the purchase, so you also have to factor that in! I have seen some nice BU problem free Oregon Trail Commemoratives on eBay that went for less. At the current time, the offering is a little slim in that price range and in BU but some will come along.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'd pass at that price if it's been cleaned. You're better off buying a better piece at a higher price. You can always sell quality coins....cleaned ones.....not so much.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think it's cleaned, don't buy it! NEVER buy a cleaned or "net grade" coin in a holder. That's my rule!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be just me but if the coin is AU and shows evidence or possible evidence of being cleaned or dipped, I would pass. I assume that you have to pay taxes on the purchase, so you also have to factor that in! I have seen some nice BU problem free Oregon Trail Commemoratives on eBay that went for less. At the current time, the offering is a little slim in that price range and in BU but some will come along.

Frank

Agreed, I'd pass at that price if it's been cleaned. You're better off buying a better piece at a higher price. You can always sell quality coins....cleaned ones.....not so much.

If you think it's cleaned, don't buy it! NEVER buy a cleaned or "net grade" coin in a holder. That's my rule!

Thanks for the reply's .
This Coin is "Raw" & I could only see it from about 2 ft away (it was in a glass case) & it was closing time so I did not want to make someone open the case and have to watch me stare at the coin through my loop for 5+ min.

I was assuming it was cleaned because of how shiny it looked {could have been the light tho}.

Its only a mile away from my house so I may ride by there later to check it out better.

Plus my left eye has seems not to be as good as it was just 6 months ago (getting old)
this won't help much with my scores in a up coming Shooting match either. lol

One other good thing about buying coins in Ga is no sales tax added.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions