1930's Person's Majestic Red Brake Glass and 4 Lead Balls

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Removed the rusted steel cage around the glass lens which allowed me to find it buried two inches deep in the forest floor. Manufacturer marked (Worchester, Mass) with Patents 1929, 1933, 1934. Wonder what it went to? Really like it, will go nice with my glass insulators.

Didn't find much at this beautiful spot today but got six hours of hiking in. Rolling hills, huge quartz glacial erratics, surrounded by undeveloped wetlands, I can always find ballistics here. There is one colonial foundation which gave me an extraordinary Machin's Mills last year but little else. The number of old shotgun shell bases with the paper rotted off drives me nuts. Unlike nails, they give a solid 10-18 signal on the Nox 800 that read coin or button-like.

Hitting the field tomorrow before the snow showers return on Sunday.

Attachments

• tres258.jpg
    tres258.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 106
  • tres257.jpg
    tres257.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 16

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t throw those shotgun heads away,a few of them are worth some serious jack. Nice lens,that,ll make a nice display.Rig a small lamp behind it,like a clear LED and it,ll shine for ya!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat.

The Persons-Majestic Mfg. Co. of Worcester, Massachusetts originally made bicycle fitments from the early 1900s as the ‘Persons Manufacturing Co’ and then a whole host of things such as bicycle saddle seats, pedals, sirens and reflectors; automobile reflectors, auxiliary safety lights and car hood ornaments.

This vintage ‘tombstone’ reflector with 31 ‘marbles’ was said to be for bicycles:

Persons-Majestic.jpg

It’s more properly called a cataphote reflector and those glass ‘marbles’ were individually set in a metal frame. Later versions like yours had the glass moulded in a single slab which may or may not have had a metal overlay to separate them into individual ‘dots’ to attract more attention to the reflection.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t throw those shotgun heads away,a few of them are worth some serious jack. Nice lens,that,ll make a nice display.Rig a small lamp behind it,like a clear LED and it,ll shine for ya!
Had no idea the shotgun shells had any value. Would appreciate any info on which ones to keep an eye out for. Must have dug and tossed a thousand of them, only keeping the all brass first generation Winchester.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the balls resemble musket balls anyone else ?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had no idea the shotgun shells had any value. Would appreciate any info on which ones to keep an eye out for. Must have dug and tossed a thousand of them, only keeping the all brass first generation Winchester.
There,s several sites devoted to them and cartridges and shotgun shells too.Just seaarch Headstamp Identification and you,ll get enough info to last a while.Actually the all brass shotgun shells are the most desirable by collectors. It,s a niche all it,s own and has it,s devotees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread