1936 Skelly Oil Advertising Token

dbqIAhunter

Aug 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging at an 1850 home permission, found this, it's a little corroded so not sure you can see much from the photo. It's has the Skelly Oil Co. logo and date 1936 with "Down Profit Road" across the top. On the back, a pie chart with "How the motorist dollars is spent" with a pie chart (Gasoline 54 cents, Motor Oil 11 cents, etc.)

Can't find any information about it on line.

Always check good around the clothes lines :icon_thumright:

I didn't have time to hunt the property much at all. I'll be back

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_143629.jpg
    IMG_20190819_143629.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20190819_143602.jpg
    IMG_20190819_143602.jpg
    948.7 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 15
Nice token......

The Skelly Oil token is interesting. It sounds like it was something given to station owners or prospective owners, promoting the idea that motorists spend money at gas stations. Definitely not something aimed at the general public. One of the things that I enjoy about this hobby is that a find can lead you down another path entirely--now you may end up learning a lot about Skelly Oil and gas station dealer tokens--something that you wouldn't have thought of doing prior to finding the token. Doing the historical research prior to hunts and researching items found is a another entire side of this hobby that people don't often think about. Let us know what you find out about the token.

Very nice find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back