tnt-hunter
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 20, 2018
- Messages
- 2,057
- Reaction score
- 12,107
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Mountain Maryland
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went to park by the pool and did some swingin. I have found some goodies here in the past so as always I went hoping. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 29 coins with a face value of $1.60, part of a hub cap, a mine chit, a game token, a wheatie, a BAND pin, a clothing tag, a lipstick tube, pieces of an old kerosene lamp, aluminum bottle caps, heavy copper wire, aluminum tie wire for chain link fencing, can slaw and 7 tabs.
The lamp pieces may be from 2 different lamps even though they were found about a foot apart. Part of this area I’m sure was used as a dump and I have found quite a variety of things. The pieces are fancy, too bad they are all bent up.
The mine chit is from one of the coal mines that were located in the county. The area was a big mining area and the miners contributed money long ago to build the original main building of the local college and the old hospital located in town. The game token is from Deep Creek Lake and the wheatie is a 1940.
The hub cap is for a Model T Ford. I have found several in the last. This one has been cut down so it is only half as tall as a normal one. The threaded part of the cap has been removed for some unknown reason.
The lipstick tube is ADRIENNE INDELO. I’m not sure how old it is, but I did find 2 on sale on the internet that were listed as rare. None on eBay so maybe they are. This one is not in great shape so no real value either way.
DAY 2
I went back to the park closest to my home and did some detecting around the PeeWee football field. I have covered most of the field before, but I always check for fresh losses and there are parts of the field I have not grid searched. I gridded a new section and checked around the spectator areas.
In 5.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 54 coins with a face value of $5.70, a buffalo nickel, 2 wheaties, 2 pieces of jewelry, an old bullet, a screw in cleat, a jack (I haven’t seen a jack in ages, do people still play with jacks?), a Pontiac car key, can slaw, foil and 24 tabs.
The buffalo has a date which is not the norm. It is a 1935 in fair shape. It was about 8 inches down and gave an iffy signal. The wheaties are a 1934 and a 1946 in ok shape for the acid soil around here.
The jewelry is cheapie stuff. The bullet is a post civil war type with decent oxidation and no ribbed groove so possibly between 1865 and 1880. No real value except as lead to recycle.
DAY 3
I went back to the new permission to do the curb strip on the side of the house and redo the yard with the Equinox at a 90 degree angle to the last trip.
I spent 2 hour with the CZ21 doing the curb strip. I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.10, including a buffalo nickel, 3 wheaties and several copper roofing tar paper fasteners.
I spent 3 hours with the equinox redoing the yard and found 14 coins with a a face value of $0.31 including a war nickel, copper roofing fasteners and 6 wheaties. This is the first yard I have done with the Equinox. In the past I have just used it on the beach and I was happy with the results. I had some trouble getting used to the responses I was getting and I was experimenting with PARK 1 and PARK 2. In 1 I wasn’t sure I was getting everything in 2 I was getting too much response. It will definitely take some getting used to and the CZ21 will still be my main detector.
Altogether the finds included 9 wheaties, 16 copper roof fasteners used for tar paper on a roof, a buffalo nickel, a war nickel, a Canadian dime, part of a toy car, 2 cap like items, a house key, a brass belt adjuster, aluminum bottle caps, foil and 11 tabs.
I normally find 1 or 2 buffalo nickels a year and in the last week I have found 3. That is unusual enough but the fact that 2 of them have clear dates is even more unusual. This one is a 1930 in decent shape. The war nickel is a 1942 P which was a nice surprise. The wheaties are 1912, 1925, 1927, 1937, 1938, 1944, 1945, 1950, 1953. The 1912 is the oldest coin from this yard and the house was built in 1865. The owner says that only a small part of the house was built in 1865 so the majority of the house is probably on the older finds and the yard was dug up to add to the house and build the large garage.
The cap like items are a mystery. The one on the left is more like a snap than a cap. It has UPDEGHAFF and a U on it. Not sure what it is for. The other is a screw on cap and it looks like it has a joined 6 and 9. No idea what that one is from either but it looks similar in style to other caps for squeeze tubes of pigment and medicines I have found.
A short week this time, life does get in the way of our fun doesn’t it. More fun, exercise and interesting things to figure out. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
I went to park by the pool and did some swingin. I have found some goodies here in the past so as always I went hoping. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 29 coins with a face value of $1.60, part of a hub cap, a mine chit, a game token, a wheatie, a BAND pin, a clothing tag, a lipstick tube, pieces of an old kerosene lamp, aluminum bottle caps, heavy copper wire, aluminum tie wire for chain link fencing, can slaw and 7 tabs.
The lamp pieces may be from 2 different lamps even though they were found about a foot apart. Part of this area I’m sure was used as a dump and I have found quite a variety of things. The pieces are fancy, too bad they are all bent up.
The mine chit is from one of the coal mines that were located in the county. The area was a big mining area and the miners contributed money long ago to build the original main building of the local college and the old hospital located in town. The game token is from Deep Creek Lake and the wheatie is a 1940.
The hub cap is for a Model T Ford. I have found several in the last. This one has been cut down so it is only half as tall as a normal one. The threaded part of the cap has been removed for some unknown reason.
The lipstick tube is ADRIENNE INDELO. I’m not sure how old it is, but I did find 2 on sale on the internet that were listed as rare. None on eBay so maybe they are. This one is not in great shape so no real value either way.
DAY 2
I went back to the park closest to my home and did some detecting around the PeeWee football field. I have covered most of the field before, but I always check for fresh losses and there are parts of the field I have not grid searched. I gridded a new section and checked around the spectator areas.
In 5.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 54 coins with a face value of $5.70, a buffalo nickel, 2 wheaties, 2 pieces of jewelry, an old bullet, a screw in cleat, a jack (I haven’t seen a jack in ages, do people still play with jacks?), a Pontiac car key, can slaw, foil and 24 tabs.
The buffalo has a date which is not the norm. It is a 1935 in fair shape. It was about 8 inches down and gave an iffy signal. The wheaties are a 1934 and a 1946 in ok shape for the acid soil around here.
The jewelry is cheapie stuff. The bullet is a post civil war type with decent oxidation and no ribbed groove so possibly between 1865 and 1880. No real value except as lead to recycle.
DAY 3
I went back to the new permission to do the curb strip on the side of the house and redo the yard with the Equinox at a 90 degree angle to the last trip.
I spent 2 hour with the CZ21 doing the curb strip. I found 16 coins with a face value of $1.10, including a buffalo nickel, 3 wheaties and several copper roofing tar paper fasteners.
I spent 3 hours with the equinox redoing the yard and found 14 coins with a a face value of $0.31 including a war nickel, copper roofing fasteners and 6 wheaties. This is the first yard I have done with the Equinox. In the past I have just used it on the beach and I was happy with the results. I had some trouble getting used to the responses I was getting and I was experimenting with PARK 1 and PARK 2. In 1 I wasn’t sure I was getting everything in 2 I was getting too much response. It will definitely take some getting used to and the CZ21 will still be my main detector.
Altogether the finds included 9 wheaties, 16 copper roof fasteners used for tar paper on a roof, a buffalo nickel, a war nickel, a Canadian dime, part of a toy car, 2 cap like items, a house key, a brass belt adjuster, aluminum bottle caps, foil and 11 tabs.
I normally find 1 or 2 buffalo nickels a year and in the last week I have found 3. That is unusual enough but the fact that 2 of them have clear dates is even more unusual. This one is a 1930 in decent shape. The war nickel is a 1942 P which was a nice surprise. The wheaties are 1912, 1925, 1927, 1937, 1938, 1944, 1945, 1950, 1953. The 1912 is the oldest coin from this yard and the house was built in 1865. The owner says that only a small part of the house was built in 1865 so the majority of the house is probably on the older finds and the yard was dug up to add to the house and build the large garage.
The cap like items are a mystery. The one on the left is more like a snap than a cap. It has UPDEGHAFF and a U on it. Not sure what it is for. The other is a screw on cap and it looks like it has a joined 6 and 9. No idea what that one is from either but it looks similar in style to other caps for squeeze tubes of pigment and medicines I have found.
A short week this time, life does get in the way of our fun doesn’t it. More fun, exercise and interesting things to figure out. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Attachments
Upvote
17








