1941 Silver Penny????

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I need some help with this one. I found both these coins today, ones a normal 1924 Mercury dime. That one's easy. The other is what appears to be a 1941 silver penny. Only problem is, they didn't make silver pennies. Ever. So what is it that I have here? Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 1438990864181.jpg
    1438990864181.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 601
  • 1438990878227.jpg
    1438990878227.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,129
Upvote 4
As a kid I rubbed silver dimes(that's all there was)with mercury to make them shine,don't know if it works on copper or not.

GOD Bless

Chris

Someone that worked at the mint was either bored or was having fun. It looks liget to me. Im not familiar with the garret at pro. But did it ring up as silver. Could be worth some money. I like it. Nice going

Ship it to me ;) ill take a closer look.
I have a 1994 Canadian silver penny that came out of a roll... weiiirrddd, yet awesome.

More than likely zinc plated. I do that as a lab with my chemistry students every year and it's pretty simple. They look just like that.

It could be some sort of novelty coin, but that would be very cool if it turned out to be some sort of rarity for you.

Its just plated...

I have high hopes that it's not plated, but it probably is. Any simple (and cheap!) ways to test without ruining it? I've thought about taking it to a local jeweler, but not sure they will be able to figure it out either.

Every now and then, about 3-4 times a year, we get one of these posts. It's apparently from science experiments with cents dipped in mercury.

I would shine it up and have one hell of a conversation piece!!

It is most likely silver plated or something plated. I found a gold plated 1909 with some of the gilt still left on it after 100 years or more. It's a cool find, but highly unlikely solid silver....just compare the readout on your machine with a silver dime. If your machine doesn't have the resolution, use a Minelab Explorer with the variability option maxed.

I owned a coin store for 20 years and have seen a least 100 of these come through the store... no value, but cool...

I found a 1943 steel wheat. I think they only made them in 43 so :dontknow:-------IB

Keep it for conversation piece or sale it for hundreds to an unsuspecting fool.....ok just kidding on the last part.,or am I?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back