1955-R 50 Lira coin (Italian)

B

bottlecap

Every Friday, my family and I go around to the thrift stores in town hunting bargains. Today, I picked up a good copy of "The Pre-history of The Far Side" at the Goodwill store. Paperbacks are ordinarily 50 cents, but sometimes they invent their own prices for trade-sized books. The lady at the register tried just that, telling me that it would cost a dollar. I called her on it, and another lady told her to charge only 50 cents, since there was no sticker or sign indicating that it would cost more.

So, I gave her $1.03 (tax, you know), and she gave me two quarters in change. Or did she? We went to the library next, where they always have a big table of used books for a quarter apiece. I picked out two, gave the librarian the two quarters I had received in change from the Goodwill, and as I was headed out the door, she said "Sir? One of these is not a quarter. It's some sort of foreign coin."

I took it back and paid her what she was due, then examined the foreign coin. It is a 1955-R 50 Lira coin from the Republic of Italy. I looked it up just now, and the second Google hit gives an eBay listing of $35.00, which I'm taking with a grain of salt, since it's eBay.

So, my next stop is here. Besides the markings already mentioned, it has some teeny, tiny writing I can't quite make out, even with a magnifier. I'm pretty sure the first word is "Romagnali" but I can't read the second one at all. It looks like it's in great condition (very shiny, especially the front), so any expert opinions about it are welcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread