1970-S Small Date Lincoln Penny?

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was rummaging through my change for Wheaties, like I always do... when I noticed that I had a San Fran mint coin. Like always, I pull them out, just for curiosity. It's a 1970-S and when looking into it at lincolncentresource.com, I see the small date variety is a somewhat rarer variety of lincolns (I know, I'm not telling you anything new). Anyway, I compare this one from my change to another 1970-S that I have in my collection, not expecting any differences, and notice that the 9 is significantly shorter than the one in my collection. So, I did a quick photoshop comparison of the coin I found vs. the known variety pictures over at lincoln cent resource and also included the other coin in my collection for comparison. So, I ask of you... is this a small date variety or not? Any help is greatly appreciated!

1970S Penny.jpg

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
I'm no expert but the nine doesn't look right. Guess we will wait for those with knowledge.

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but the nine doesn't look right. Guess we will wait for those with knowledge.

Ha, everything about this just confuses the hell out of me! The not-so-long tail on the 9, the pointy ends on the 9, the 'fattiness' of the S, that the other example from my 'collection' has such a long tail on the 9 (which neither of the known examples show). With my limited amount of luck, I just know what the answer is, not that I would sell it if it were small date anyway.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Strong letters on "LIBERTY" and the tail of the inner curl of "9" pointing to the top right of the "S" Mintmark equals Large Date! If you find a 1970-S Cent with weakness on "LIBERTY" and the tail of the inner curl of the "9" points to the "7" in the Date, then you have a winner. These are the easiest diagnostics to remember.

1970-S 1c Large & Small Date Comparisons

Frank

OP
OP
B

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strong letters on "LIBERTY" and the tail of the inner curl of "9" pointing to the top right of the "S" Mintmark equals Large Date! If you find a 1970-S Cent with weakness on "LIBERTY" and the tail of the inner curl of the "9" points to the "7" in the Date, then you have a winner. These are the easiest diagnostics to remember.

1970-S 1c Large & Small Date Comparisons

Frank

Thanks, Frank! I was leaning towards a Large Date, but I figured I better check with the resident experts here, since I am by no means well versed on the subject. Oh well, we can't win em all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread