What's new

1971 40% half - rumor or fact?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
282
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read at many places that some 1971 halves might be struck with 40% planket. Is this just a presumption of coin collectors or a proven fact? Since we Tneters cover the whole states and have gathered huge amount of 40%ers, if 1971 or 1977 40% halves truly exists, at least one should be discovered here. Anyway, I checked each and every piece of many 40%ers carefully, not one yet

If anyone found a piece, please post a pic for the rest of us to enjoy. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I have never ran across one. Although I do have a 1974 half dollar that looks almost exactly like a 40%er in toning. I mean the rim is two toned grey and the back and front are silver toned. If you saw it in a roll you would most certainly pull it thinking it was 40%. I did the ping test and no such luck. I might post a pic so you all can gaze and amaize.

Golden Silver
 
Someone on here posted before that the red book mentions that a few were accidentally minted.

I have never read the red book so I don't know for sure.

If you ever find one, it would probably be worth thousands or more if only "a few" were minted.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Someone on here posted before that the red book mentions that a few were accidentally minted.

I have never read the red book so I don't know for sure.

If you ever find one, it would probably be worth thousands or more if only "a few" were minted.

Jim

Yes Jim Tis I as well as others who have quoted this from the red Book.

However I have never found on Nor have I Seen a picture of one posted here.

I am always looking when I search. But have yet to find any.

As most of you regulars know I Search In excess of 12 boxes a week 12x52 = 624 boxes a year x 4 years = 2,496 boxes x 1000 coins = 2.5 million half dollar coins. (Conservitive Figure)

That's not saying that they aren't the same 12 boxes recycling every couple of weeks because it is true I get my own dumps back quite frequently.

I am going to say that I would imagine that I have seen at least a couple hundred thousand different Half dollar coins out of the over 2.5 mil that have passed through my fingers.

But not a single 71 or 77 40% has found it's way to me.

I can also say that with relative confidence....... Nothing ever gets buy me. Because my ears and eyes are tuned in on the sweet sound of silver.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Mojo
 
coincrazed said:
Yeah,right,my man.By the way.Nothing ever gets to buy you?I thought slavery was illegal in the U.S.?That's news to me!!! - coincrazed

Huh?
 
[/quote]

I can also say that with relative confidence....... Nothing ever gets buy me. Because my ears and eyes are tuned in on the sweet sound of silver.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Mojo
[/quote]

Mojo: My understanding of your sentence is "Nothing ever get passed by (not buy) you". You check coins with your eyes and your ears. You check with your eyes for luster, edge, toning, etc. You also doulbe-check with your ears for the unique silver ring when the silver coin slowly was spining down on the table. That is exactly what I do. A lots of 1971D or 1977D will have the toning or edge of silver. But when you through them on a table and let them spin, the sound is not the silver sound.
I got you, buddy!
 
Yes you got it. There is no mistaking that sweet Sound.

Mojo
 
coincrazed said:
coinmojo said:
coincrazed said:
Yeah,right,my man.By the way.Nothing ever gets to buy you?I thought slavery was illegal in the U.S.?That's news to me!!! - coincrazed

Huh?
You are one terrible,pathetic speller,coinmojo,my man. - coincrazed

You noticed that huh. I have ben playged with that kerse all my life.

Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
coincrazed said:
coinmojo said:
coincrazed said:
Yeah,right,my man.By the way.Nothing ever gets to buy you?I thought slavery was illegal in the U.S.?That's news to me!!! - coincrazed

Huh?
You are one terrible,pathetic speller,coinmojo,my man. - coincrazed


You noticed that huh. I have ben playged with that kerse all my life.

Mojo

Sounds like you are a little bit dyslexic, my friend! You know one of the people I like most is also dyslexic. He is Jay Leno!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom