1F or 2F and The Quest to Unmask Iron

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most items I read recommend 1F and disc setting of "6" for the best results with unmasking iron. I have just starting using 2F with a disc setting "0". With 1F there are so many signals that its next to impossible for me to proceed. Besides all the crappy target ID's of less than 15 require investigation but they have NEVER amounted to anything except old rusted nails. Since it appears to me to require a target ID of at least 20 or higher for the target to be anything good why not use the 2F setting so all the low hits give the iron buzz? By eliminating all the buzz signals its much easier to concentrate on the higher ID targets. If my approach is wrong how does someone determine which crappy signal might be something good. Using 2F I think I am still getting multiple readings off the target area because of my overlapping swing. Surely if there is something good under all the junk at least one pass should give me an ID greater than 15 so I get the good sound so that I can investigate and decide whether or not to dig.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bottom line is if it works for you do it.(your way)

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Limegold your settings are not wrong if thy work for you . I use the F75 usually 2 tone disc 0 - 6 I just started
hunting a field in 1 tone but this is after cherry picking the easy targets in a few hunts first.
There are not a lot of targets there and very little modern trash just old iron.
After hitting a target in disc 6 and 1 tone and trying less disc and different tones this setting hit the best.
The # were jumping from 20 to 60 but sounded solid It was my first [fatty] Indian head 1863
about 5in deep in mild ground next to a nail . HH Mike

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
I see your point and agree 100%, BUT.......

A disc setting of 6 (or below), and monotone WILL unmask targets better than 2f tones will, but the million dollar question is........ How many good targets will this net you, as compared to 2F tones and a disc of "6"? My short answer is................not many. Its a matter of playing the odds from my perspective, and detecting in a way thats both sucessful AND fun. IF your a hardcore hunter, and want to get every target possible, then monotone is the way to go, but I can tell you with confidance, the targets that are partially masked that read "just" over nails are few and far between, and you'll spend a LOT of time investigating those, when you could be digging GOOD targets. While I have found some targets that read mid to upper teens that were keepers, most all of them were in hot ground where EVERYTHING read a lot lower than normal. Gman had it right. monotone IS useful after you have cleaned out a site in 2F, and want to try to squeak out the last few detectable targets. I WILL use monotone under those conditions, but "usually" opt for 2F.
hunting in 2F and "0" disc will unmask a lot of targets that are undetectable with a disc setting as low as "6" and 2F.
Most difficult targets that will report as iron but are still good targets will give a lot of "clues" that will let you know that you might want to investigate, despite the iron response. Postitive "bounces" from only one direction are only one of those "clues". I'm a firm believer that experience and tons of field time will give you the knowlege to asses thse targets as they present themselves, and will allow you to make the dig/no-dig decision. Yep.......................... I too use 2F 99% of the time, and am pretty confidant with it.
Streak!

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
limegoldconvertible68 said:
Most items I read recommend 1F and disc setting of "6" for the best results with unmasking iron. I have just starting using 2F with a disc setting "0". With 1F there are so many signals that its next to impossible for me to proceed. Besides all the crappy target ID's of less than 15 require investigation but they have NEVER amounted to anything except old rusted nails. Since it appears to me to require a target ID of at least 20 or higher for the target to be anything good why not use the 2F setting so all the low hits give the iron buzz? By eliminating all the buzz signals its much easier to concentrate on the higher ID targets. If my approach is wrong how does someone determine which crappy signal might be something good. Using 2F I think I am still getting multiple readings off the target area because of my overlapping swing. Surely if there is something good under all the junk at least one pass should give me an ID greater than 15 so I get the good sound so that I can investigate and decide whether or not to dig.
I recommended that very thing on another forum, today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread