Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure how much silver it has to be to be a silver dump but I just got my first bag of halves from a bank counting machine, it was only $650 in halves as it wasn't full but the manager was happy for me to take it off her hands! She claims they had the machine for over a year and have never changed the half dollar bag. I also got a $400 bag of dimes, and found 1 silver Rosie. I will go back for the bag of quarters but don't expect much
I decided to enjoy it as it is a long weekend and I looked at each coin looking for Double Dies, none yet - still have about $175 to check but I got impatient towards the end and just looked for silver. I had been finding it all along but decided to check the rest
Before I talk about the silver, I also found one missing FG and two missing F errors, but no DD.

I started pulling silver 40% and 90% and every few handfuls there was another one!

My final count is my FIRST EVER FRANKLIN HALF!!!!!

1 1953 D Franklin
8 1964 Kennedys
22 40% Kennedys

Since it was only $650 total I would call this a silver dump someone made.

IMG_20171224_204619206_HDR a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_204619206_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171224_204619206_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jingle silver, jingle silver---jingle all the way :icon_thumright:

when scoring from coin counters--- it would be VERY helpful to know the brand of machine--

the Scancoin & Magner units I use reject all silver & most wheats

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is called a CoinMax, it is the machine used by most of the banks around here. It is about 30"x30" has a screen at the top where you push start, you lift the clear lid to expose the grid where you dump the coins. When you lift the top to dump more it stops until you close the lid again. I have only seen two different other types here, one at a bank that also has the CoinMax.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't believe my luck this last 5 weeks, in fact it has been so good that I called two empty boxes a skunk streak

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My final count is my FIRST EVER FRANKLIN HALF!!!

Is it just me or Is the Franklin Half hard to come by? I’ve found 40 Walking Liberty’s to just 4 Franklin’s.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going Ben.Reminds me of the...Old days:)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My final count is my FIRST EVER FRANKLIN HALF!!!

Is it just me or Is the Franklin Half hard to come by? I’ve found 40 Walking Liberty’s to just 4 Franklin’s.
Seems like they are nowadays. I've dug more Franklins than I've roll hunted in the last couple years. I've also dug many more Barber and Walker halves than I've found roll hunting over the last ten years. Interesting that the rarest half to dig seems to be the 1964 - 1969 Kennedy, of which I've dug zero.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like they are nowadays. I've dug more Franklins than I've roll hunted in the last couple years. I've also dug many more Barber and Walker halves than I've found roll hunting over the last ten years. Interesting that the rarest half to dig seems to be the 1964 - 1969 Kennedy, of which I've dug zero.

I think it has everything to do with the mint moving to clad on everything besides halves in 1965, then eventually halves 5 years later. They '64 Kennedy was only in circulation one year before the silver hoarding began, very little time to fall out of pockets.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it has everything to do with the mint moving to clad on everything besides halves in 1965, then eventually halves 5 years later. They '64 Kennedy was only in circulation one year before the silver hoarding began, very little time to fall out of pockets.
I agree heartily about the '64 Kennedy. But, who was hoarding the '65-'69? Hardly anyone if I recall. Even the Hunt bros. gave 'em the stink eye. Over 600 million of those minted. I remember getting them in change, I got rid of 'em soon as I could after they hit my pocket, that was throughout the 1970's and into the '80s.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread