1st beach hunt with Minelab Excal

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
So it's official- the detector works fine, the problems I had experienced before were caused by the low battery. I headed out to the lake EARLY this morning with the girlfriend, was in the water at daybreak. After about thirty minutes in the water, she tells me she was just informed the lake was deemed not safe due to the deluge we just had. I guess the city opened up the drains and a lot of raw runoff was released into the lake to alleviate the sewer system or whatever. So I detected the dry sand for awhile, trying to learn the subtle difference in tone between a beer cap and a copper coin.

A few things I learned today: Water detecting is HARD WORK. I think strapping the brains of the Excal to a belt would help decrease drag, because after 30 minutes in the water, I felt like I had been detecting all day.

The deeper I went, the less targets I found. This may be because the season is still somewhat early, but nearly all the targets came from knee-high water.

The Excal goes DEEP- maybe too deep, lol. While trying to recover a target in deeper water, the sand would come in and fill the hole within seconds of my scooping sand out. I had to abandon some targets that I assumed were cans or large trash. My left wrist was killing me.

The pinpoint mode on the Excal is not the best. I stayed in DISC mode nearly the entire time, even when trying to pinpoint and recover a target.

Though the finds weren't great, I had a blast! Got barked and growled at by two dogs at different times, that's a first. Must have been Garrett fans. I tried to tell them that I was not biased and in fact owned a Garrett, but they opted to chase some seagulls instead. My first official find with the Excal, at the beach, was a pulltab.

Have fun this weekend!

Joe

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 328
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 339
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 329

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bye Bye woods....

Hello cool water....

Hope you find that Rosie....

Hope you find some Gold too.

Good Luck with your water hunting this summer.....and may the Detecting Gods be over you....

pat (chicago)

Oct 27, 2004
highland park
Detector(s) used
explorer se excal2
you are using, IMHO, the best water machine there is! i used the previous excal and now the new one for years...you will get used to the "drag" and if you don't there is a hip-mount kit for it. in lake michigan you can crank the sensitivity up pretty far, no need for auto. in fact, i have taken the excal 2 to hawaii, florida and just got back from bermuda and had no mineralization issues in any salt water! good hunting with your machine!

ps. what do you think the water temp was? it must have been okay since you stayed in half an hour...

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
I received the Excal 2 for Christmas. Haven't been able to use it until today due to weather and time restraints.

Thanks for the info on the Tesoro. I was going to buy one awhile back, but couldn't afford it as I'm trying to save up for other stuff right now. Maybe later!

Joe

yep i tought so. a brand new excal 2 on its virgin dip.

u r 1 lucky guy to get this as an xmas present.

i hardly ever get anything great.

my relatives are the
"vcr or towel " type "bill murray in SCROOGED"

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job bud, I figured it was the batteries were the problem the 1st time you were out. I also see you opted to used the small scoop, out in the water use the diamondhead scoop and load it up on your 1st attempt and hopefully you will get your target so your hole wont fill back up. On the wet sand (not in the water) that smallo scoop sucks as you have to shake it a billion times to get the sand out, the holes are just too small for wet sand. Anyways great job and I hope to get a water machine next month and join you out there bud. :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also did a lot of bottle caps!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Fine job Joe, well, fine beginning anyway, that's one hot water machine. The Excal, not you, you're just one hot dude.....

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never have tried water hunting. . . but I'd love to 8)

I have a few sites in mind :wink:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice going Joe!
About time you dunked that thing. I know the finds will only get better.
Mike

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
pat (chicago) said:
ps. what do you think the water temp was? it must have been okay since you stayed in half an hour...

this will help
http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twomichigans.html
http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LM/844.html
http://www.weathermichigan.net/marine/waveheight.html

I would suggest getting the biggest scoop that you can handle & try to recover target on first attempt. The weight of the scoop is important because you'll be carrying it all day, but don't forget it will weigh alot more when its full of bottom. I don't carry the scoop I float it. I also find most very small targets on first attempt. Could also be used as emergency floatation. Heres the setup I use on Lake Michigan, it has worked well for me.
Hope the websites and pictures help

Steve

Attachments

• scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 193
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 189
  • right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 161
  • scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 163
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 167
  • right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 170
OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
kaptainkosmic said:
pat (chicago) said:

this will help
http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twomichigans.html
http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LM/844.html
http://www.weathermichigan.net/marine/waveheight.html

I would suggest getting the biggest scoop that you can handle & try to recover target on first attempt. The weight of the scoop is important because you'll be carrying it all day, but don't forget it will weigh alot more when its full of bottom. I don't carry the scoop I float it. I also find most very small targets on first attempt. Could also be used as emergency floatation. Heres the setup I use on Lake Michigan, it has worked well for me.
Hope the websites and pictures help

Steve

First, to answer Pat's question, the temp of the water was in the low 60's.

And to Steve, thanks for the great info! Your floating device in ingenius. Even though I'm looking forward to getting out a lot this summer with the Excal, I'm not too sure how serious I will be into water detecting. It looks very expensive, with all the gadgest that are available. I mostly like getting out in the sun and into the water and getting excersize. I have contemplated wetsuits and all kinds of other items, but am not sure how dedicated of a water hunter I will turn out to be, lol. For now, I'll head out for short hunts (all I can muster out there with all that luggage!), and if I can find one ring or peice of jewelry this year, that'd be phenominal. Thanks again for the great info, I will definitely take advantage of it. And, if I were as skilled as you, I'd build my own little floating station, too!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread