What's new

1st Box Of Nickels - Observations

TxAg

Sr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2017
Messages
423
Reaction score
413
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after seeing all the cool coins Port Ewen Ace and others have found going through boxes of nickels, I decided to give it a try. First thing that I didn't expect was all the dimes mixed in the MWRs! I didn't count them all, but easily 50+, or better than 1 dime per roll on average. I tallied a couple of these rolls and the dime took the place of a nickel in each case so I figure I was up $2.50 on face value alone on the entire box. That's after taking into account 2 cents that I also found. Don't know if this is common or not? Included a picture of the wrapper and box, I believe this bank is serviced by Brinks but not positive. As for the coins, LOTS of Westward Journey Series Nickels (128 of them). I have been hoarding them, but now realize there are plenty out there (finally looked at the mintages!), so will cull and keep a tube of the best of each year/mint from now on. Did not find any old Buffalos, but did find a nice 1939 and 1960 (which were upgrades for my Dansco album), and a worn 1943-P War nickel. Found a good smattering of 40's & 50's to boot. All in all, a very enjoyable experience and I may try a few more boxes to see if I can find a buffalo!
 

Attachments

  • 1939 Nickel.webp
    1939 Nickel.webp
    493.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1960 Nickel.webp
    1960 Nickel.webp
    386.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 1943-P Nickel.webp
    1943-P Nickel.webp
    209.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Nickel Box.webp
    Nickel Box.webp
    340.3 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
Sounds like a machine at the facility was out of calibration. That definitely isn't the norm. Better dimes than cents though!
 
over 500 boxes of nics---- and never got a dime---- LORDY, what am I doin' wrong ?????? :laughing9: :laughing9: :dontknow:

ya' did OK--- those '05 Bisons have at least 4 known errors-- speared, wounded, unicorn, detached leg & more, found the '05-P "ocean in view" with a 135 degree die rotation aboot a year ago 8-)---

& WHAT__________no crummy beaver tails ???:dontknow::BangHead::laughing7:
 
Thanks Ace! Will definitely look for those '05 errors before I cull them down.....
 
Yeah those are Brinks boxes. I have never found a dime in one either.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom