Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I scored a "third hand" Teknetics Delta 4000 yesterday at a great price and took it out for a test drive today. All I can say is WOW.
Compared to the BH machines I've been using it's like going from a Yugo to a Corvette. I've read many great reviews on this particular unit and I've been waiting for a deal to present itself.

I missed a deal on one about two weeks ago and was very disappointed about it. Friday, I found another deal and as it turns out, it's the EXACT SAME machine I missed. The guy who bought it didn't like it and opted for a Garrett Ace 250.

I figure it was meant to be based on how it all worked out. When I told him he beat me to the deal last time, he lowered the price and sold it to me for what he paid so I'm really happy about it.

He was really cool. He's a 5th grade school teacher in Baltimore city and he's teaching his students metal detecting; something I WISH they would have taught it when I went to school.

So I went to a newer park where I found a convincing fake ring last week to hit a few spots I've already hunted a bit, to see what I may have passed over.

Within 15 minutes I scored ring number 15:

Teknetics D 4000 1st Hunt Oct. 5 2014 001.JPG

It's junk and it's small. It looks like it may be kinda' old but I have no way of telling. It was also pretty deep but I got a nice clear, strong signal on it. Another one for the junk collection.

It started getting crowded so I left after less than an hour and went to a school I've hunted many times and where I found a few pretty old coins, in the hopes of finding a few more. I found some kind of pendant that must have fallen off a chain. At first I thought it was some kinda' miniature plum bob.
It too is junk:

Teknetics D 4000 1st Hunt Oct. 5 2014 002.JPG

I'm surprised I even picked up on it. It feels like plastic but it's junk white metal. The signal was kinda' weak on that one and it was only about 4 inches down.

Then I spent the rest of the time digging one old button, the usual trash and more clad. I couldn't walk three feet with this machine without having to stop and dig something. After digging 13 zincolns I notched them out and they were no longer a problem. I really like the way you can do that. My BH machines don't have that type of true notch capability.

I also dug four coins over 7 inches on their SIDES including two dimes and a penny. I couldn't believe it.

Teknetics D 4000 1st Hunt Oct. 5 2014 003.JPG

I have to say, I'm really impressed so far and I really like this detector.

My only regret is not getting something better to start out with but at the time, I knew absolutely nothing about this hobby. I had no idea that an upgrade to something that's not even a high end machine would make hunting SO much better. I'm gonna' go back and hit all of my spots with this thing and see what happens.

Now I have to sell one of my BH machines to help cover what I paid for this one and still retain three machines, one for me and one for each of my sons.

Thanks for looking and HH

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them rings ! Keep them coming !
Glen

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great machine. I jumped in feet first about a year ago and bought a Tek T2 SE. It was a lot of money but I never wanted to feel like my equipment was holding me back. I went to a site today and everything I dug was a minimum 7 or 8" deep. Lots of machines would never have made a peep at this place and I pulled 13 buttons and an early LC. I dug one large button that is the deepest good target I've ever dug. It had to be 13 or 14". I never do this but I took a pic of my pointer buried down to where this big button was. You will do GREAT with your new toy. Congrats man

image-473783668.jpg

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true the Delta 4000 does not have a headphone jack? been trying to find out but so far no luck.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true the Delta 4000 does not have a headphone jack? been trying to find out but so far no luck.

Not only is it not true, mine has two headphone jacks; 1/8" and 1/4", plus volume control.

I read somewhere that either the newer or older ones only have one headphone jack but don't quote me on that. I just don't know.
I can only speak for mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great machine. I jumped in feet first about a year ago and bought a Tek T2 SE. It was a lot of money but I never wanted to feel like my equipment was holding me back. I went to a site today and everything I dug was a minimum 7 or 8" deep. Lots of machines would never have made a peep at this place and I pulled 13 buttons and an early LC. I dug one large button that is the deepest good target I've ever dug. It had to be 13 or 14". I never do this but I took a pic of my pointer buried down to where this big button was. You will do GREAT with your new toy. Congrats man

View attachment 1062757

Thanks dude and congrats on the DEEP button. 14" is a long way down.

I've read many good things about the Teknetics brand and being a BH guy I figured I would move up to either that or a Fisher at some point 'cause the BH's have been pretty good to me considering. I cannot complain because they taught me a great deal and got me into this addiction; I mean hobby.

But, I'm done buying detectors for now because it's getting cold. I need to sell one!

That T2 is now my goal for next year. I've heard nothing but great things about it including from a fellow Tnet member who swears by it.
Another member once told me that "better detectors find more treasure". He's right.

Congrats on those finds. 14"?? Damn.
That's one for the books. You'll never regret taking that picture.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dude and congrats on the DEEP button. 13" is a long way down. I've read many good things about the Teknetics brand and being a BH guy I figured I would move up to either that or a Fisher at some point 'cause the BH's have been pretty good to me considering. I cannot complain because they taught me a great deal and got me into this addiction; I mean hobby. But, I'm done buying detectors for now because it's getting cold. I need to sell one! That T2 is now my goal for next year. I've heard nothing but great things about it including from a fellow Tnet member who swears by it. Another member once told me that "better detectors find more treasure". He's right. Congrats on those finds. 13"?? Damn. That's one for the books. You'll never regret taking that picture.
Yeah it really is an incredible machine. Never did I imagine I'd dig multiple Spanish silver and tons of 1700s coins my first year. I never leave a site wondering if another machine might have found more. I almost didn't post that pic as I know it sounds a little far fetched but a big old button sitting flat with wet conditions and there you have it. Let me know if you have any questions about your machine. Does it have the 11" DD coil?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it really is an incredible machine. Never did I imagine I'd dig multiple Spanish silver and tons of 1700s coins my first year. I never leave a site wondering if another machine might have found more. I almost didn't post that pic as I know it sounds a little far fetched but a big old button sitting flat with wet conditions and there you have it. Let me know if you have any questions about your machine. Does it have the 11" DD coil?

It doesn't sound far fetched at all to me based on what I've been told about that machine.

And no, I have the stock 8" coil but it can always be upgraded. I think the 11" DD runs about 125.00 if you go direct to the manufacturer.
I've never even used that type of coil yet.

I literally got into this hobby on June 21st of this year and I'm on my 4th machine. I outgrew the 3 BH machines quickly just as everyone said I would. The Land Star clone was one I didn't plan on and I got really cheap. It was a fluke but turned out to be the best one I had. I'm definitely keeping that one. I found an LC and an 1863 Civil war token with it on the same short hunt less than two weeks ago. It's pretty good for beach hunting and loves coins. It has a manual ground balance and hits pretty deep in all metal mode.

I've always felt like I was passing over good stuff and kept buying slightly better detectors when I found a deal on one. Hopefully, I'll at least pass over fewer targets with the TK D 4000. I know for a fact I hit targets today that I've missed. Those sideways coins really surprised me. I've dug a few before but not that many in one small spot.

If I have any questions I'll ask but honestly, this thing is SO simple. It's extremely user friendly. After maybe 30 minutes it felt like I've been using it forever. It feels very right to me. It's just so simple. You find the target, listen to the tone, glance at the VDI and use the pinpoint button to zero in. If you don't wanna' dig zincolns, you notch 'em out.
I also love the fact that it runs on only one 9V battery, unlike my BH machines that require two. I'm saving money already in batteries alone.

But overall, it's pretty straight forward for anyone whose detected for a while. If you're not blind or deaf, can read English and press a few buttons with your thumb you can easily use this machine and begin finding stuff immediately.

I was telling my son all about it today and he brought up the fact that I've been "cool" my entire life but now I'm officially a freakin' nerd. I was spouting off names and numbers of metal detectors to him and explaining the differences.
I told him I finally got a "Big Boy" detector".
We laughed so hard.

Thanks, and congrats again.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds and your new "Big Boy" machine. GL&HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread