May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First hunt in the snow which thankfully was no more than 4 inches thick & the 1st inch was powdery & easy to swing through. About -2 temp but it was a lovely sunny day with very little wind. Last weekend was a family event so no detecting in awhile, which meant I would have hunted in a white out this weekend. :laughing7:

Land-Magnet as I call him, our first year rockie friend tipped me off yesterday that the Farm Shop land had a small patch of ploughed field, not that you could tell under the snow so we had to ask the owner so as to avoid any Winter crop.

Only spent 3 hours out but I'm pleased with the result, as Dec is one of our worst months;

A nice compete Dandy Button with raised nipple pattern, another variant to the growing collection.
Buckles
Toy Key
Broken Brooch (Pin)
William III Farthing 1690s
George II Farthing
Medieval Buckle Plate - nice decoration
Coin Weight dated 1772 :)
A surprise Hammered of Charles I (1620s Halfgroat) ;D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 673
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 683
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 676
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 677
Upvote 0

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a couple of nice coins there in the Wm & Charles. I'm out detecting in the morning, no snow yet but forecast for overnight. I'd love to end the day with something as good as your finds.... watch this space, fingers crossed!! (but no great expectation).
hodge

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hodge said:
Got a couple of nice coins there in the Wm & Charles. I'm out detecting in the morning, no snow yet but forecast for overnight. I'd love to end the day with something as good as your finds.... watch this space, fingers crossed!! (but no great expectation).
hodge

it was great to be out however cold. I too was not expecting much of this land, specially with the 4inches of snow to work on. :icon_thumright:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Ahh, the old surprise Hammered ::)

Any chance of a better pic of it? :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Ahh, the old surprise Hammered ::)

Any chance of a better pic of it? :icon_thumleft:

I know it was a poor picture, but its a poor hammered as well with only the shield side with detail, the Obv. only shows the crown & II behind bust. The camera is charging so won't bother at the moment.

Only had 3-4 hammered off this land in the past but we had the odd Saxon piece as well, which I had my fingers crossed for. Still maybe tomorrow, but I doupt we will do much better than this, as we are moving away from the productive area. :tongue3:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many people were waiting for his return after these 20 days of vacation in the snow :wink:.... even their results are still good .... I thought I had found a treasure of 2000 gold coins and not to show it to the fans. ;D
Greetings!!

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Very nice. I thought of going out. We didn't get but maybe an inch. Just to windy and cold. I think it's suppose to be warmer tomorrow or Monday. I was hoping for more snow. That way it should knock down those pesky little bean stalks.
Keep up the good hunting.
Knightwalker

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hodge said:
hodge
Right, first off it did snow, but not too much - but very, very cold. Finger biting cold!!
Only managed to get about 3 hours detecting in before we had to jack it in, but picked up 5 reasonable coins in that time.
Got 3 pennies, a halfpenny and a halfcrown (my first of the year), covering the reigns of Geo 3, Victoria, Edw 7 and Geo 5....
Photos posted elsewhere on this site - just wanted to tie-up the 'watch this space' comment of yesterday.
Best wishes for the Christmas holiday...

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we crazy, or what???? Hunting in the snow??? Only could get 3 hours in before all exposed parts of my body
began to turn black and fall off??? Average I.Q. about the same as the temperature????? Welcome to
"I Really Like To Go Metal Detecting," Part 1. :)
Me, too, guys.....here in S. Korea. Higher mts. covered with the white stuff.....and the whole land, last Saturday, -10 to -16 Celcius. Went out hiking to refind a coin site in the hills. No use taking the machine.....everything, this year, frozen solid.
But, the hiking ..... the solitude ...... the pictures were great.
WE ARE NOT CRAZY....we are the only sane ones left. :hello2: Loved the post. Loved the finds. The Best Hobby, bar none.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hodge said:
hodge said:
hodge
Right, first off it did snow, but not too much - but very, very cold. Finger biting cold!!
Only managed to get about 3 hours detecting in before we had to jack it in, but picked up 5 reasonable coins in that time.
Got 3 pennies, a halfpenny and a halfcrown (my first of the year), covering the reigns of Geo 3, Victoria, Edw 7 and Geo 5....
Photos posted elsewhere on this site - just wanted to tie-up the 'watch this space' comment of yesterday.
Best wishes for the Christmas holiday...

Not surprised about the Halfcrown they are a rare find, I think we have only had 1 this year & I don't think it was silver.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
what does it take to keep you
out of the fields detecting Cru ?

Lightning & thats it.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are just great finds for the wintertime, especially the half groat. It looks to be in great condition too.
Hunting in the snow is not difficult, if its powder snow. I have searched in that neat snow when it was about
40cm deep, and it was still quite easy really. That was in Serbia in the mountains in March. Oh, was it cold
there! Here is a photo to let you see how it was. BTW I AM wearing gloves!

Attachments

• DSC05025k_resize.JPG
    DSC05025k_resize.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 224

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
These are just great finds for the wintertime, especially the half groat. It looks to be in great condition too.
Hunting in the snow is not difficult, if its powder snow. I have searched in that neat snow when it was about
40cm deep, and it was still quite easy really. That was in Serbia in the mountains in March. Oh, was it cold
there! Here is a photo to let you see how it was. BTW I AM wearing gloves!
:o :notworthy:

That's proper hardcore Woody, your an inspiration :icon_thumleft:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you ARE awake! Hows things there?

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:

Snowy and cold, but only one more day at work and I'm off for Christmas :hello2:

How about you?

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Snowy and cold, but only one more day at work and I'm off for Christmas :hello2:
How about you?
Well of course we have a bunch of snow, making it cold to search. Its not so much the cold, but the wind, it just tears though..... The canals also froze over, that always opens up islands where you can usually only go to with a boat, but the ice did not get thick enough to walk on safely.

When it snows then the ice becomes warmer and thinner.. Pity there were a couple of places I wanted to try. Although its very hard getting anything out of the ground, mostly I chip a piece out and take it home to defrost.

Other than than just working behind the computer most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread