#2 Crotal Horse Sleigh Bell, Large Hinge, Button, Thermometer Housing

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found the upper crotal bell in the pic. It's a manufacturer match to lower one which is marked #1. They were found about 10 miles and two years apart. (I really like the small bell in the pic which I found last year). Both have their clappers and ring true. It was buried between 5" - 6" deep and had a crust which I removed with a toothbrush. Nickel holds up well.

I should probably save the nicer hinges. I typically leave them in the field. The thermometer housing has a mark for "blood heat." I see quite a bit of scrap copper. I think this piece is actually a piercing tool.

Attachments

• tres474.jpg
    tres474.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 44
  • tres475.jpg
    tres475.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • tres476.jpg
    tres476.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found the upper crotal bell in the pic. It's a manufacturer match to lower one which is marked #1. They were found about 10 miles and two years apart. (I really like the small bell in the pic which I found last year). Both have their clappers and ring true. It was buried between 5" - 6" deep and had a crust which I removed with a toothbrush. Nickel holds up well.

I should probably save the nicer hinges. I typically leave them in the field. The thermometer housing has a mark for "blood heat." I see quite a bit of scrap copper. I think this piece is actually a piercing tool.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful old bells!
I save some of the nicer blacksmith-made iron objects, like the hinge you show, as works of art. Many are shaped really nicely, like yours, but don't need to be to function.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice crotal bells.
The one on the left is a Tombac.

"Tombac, or tombak, is a brass alloy with high copper content and 5–20% zinc content. Tin, lead or arsenic may be added for colouration."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread