What's new

2 Different Garretts, same price?

Wishbone

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
257
Reaction score
91
Golden Thread
0
Location
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided after months of reviews and youtube, that my very first metal detector is going to be a Garrett AT Gold. In my province that's $700, new with ear phones. So I'm a happy guy, right.
NOT
Then a trusted friend (and source), tells me he can get a used Garrett Infinium in excellent condition (no headphones), for the same $700! Well now I'm all confused again. I want to stick with the AT Gold, but I see the reviews, video's and the price difference between the 2, makes the Infinium a great deal (about $1000+ new here)!
The voice in my head says, "stick to the plan, stick to the plan", but my wallet says, "your dirt poor duffess, when will you ever be able to afford an Infinium".
And I blame you people too! You always say that it's not the price that makes the detector, it's the person holding it....crap I hate it when your right....lol. It's my first detector, the Infinium is to much of a machine for me, right?
What do think I should do, stick with the plan, or go all in?
Thanks for helping!
 
If it's your first detector.... you can't go wrong with the AT Gold. Plus if you really enjoy the hobby and start finding lots of good stuff, you can always upgrade later. You might then go for a 2K or more machine then. And the AT Gold would still be a nice back up machine. Haven't researched the infinium, BUT I know the AT Gold is water proof. And that's a big plus for a 700 dollar machine. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.
 
I agree with what you say Shunkaha, I've never heard a bad thing said about the AT Gold. The Infinium is waterproof too though.
My decision has gotten harder since yesterday, when I did my first post. My friend has informed me that the Infinium does come with head phones and a carry bag, which makes the price that much more of a great deal.
BUT ("but" makes decisions much harder)
Everyone seems to be in agreement that the Infinium has a much larger learning curve, and being a new detectorist (is that even a real word...lol) I might be in over my head, regardless of the great deal.
The warm weather is coming, so I have to make a decision soon.
 
I think the gold would be the way.Its brand new with the warranty.If you get the infinium and something goes wrong with the circuits,they could be expensive. But that just my opinion.
 
Made a decision to buy an AT Gold pkg. for my first detector several months ago and I know I made the right decision FOR ME. That new machine warranty is important also and I personally believe that when I buy new, then I know how it's been treated, where and how its been used, and overall, taken care of. Just my 2 cents worth from a happy AT Gold owner.
 
You haven't said anything about the type of hunting you plan on doing. These are two vastly different detectors you are considering.
 
I've made up my mind, I'm buying the AT, new and ready to go. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, it really helped.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom