2 dogs on box cover? Pewter?

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I went out this afternoon and did a little bit of swinging. The spot I wanted still had frost in the ground about 2 inches down as it faces north. So I went across the road to a place I wanted to check out. This is the closest thing to anything good from there.
It is quite heavy and I suspect it may be pewter. The metal is decomposing. It is 4 1/2 inches long and 3 1/4 wide. Don't know what it is.

IMG_1582.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
Upvote 9

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it might be the lid from an old ornate food tin. so I googled "pewter terriers on can lid"
and I came up with this:
If you search around a bit, you might find a match somewhere. Pretty neat find. The dogs alone are cool. Congrats on an interesting find. Being heavy, it could be the lid of an ornate vintage jewelry box or something like that.
Here's an antique jewelry box with dogs link. Might be better.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this afternoon and did a little bit of swinging. The spot I wanted still had frost in the ground about 2 inches down as it faces north. So I went across the road to a place I wanted to check out. This is the closest thing to anything good from there.
It is quite heavy and I suspect it may be pewter. The metal is decomposing. It is 4 1/2 inches long and 3 1/4 wide. Don't know what it is.

View attachment 2019405
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be a Dog grave marker

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are probably Scottish terriers depicted on it, So I would start my search with that type of dog, It could narrow down the search parameters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread