What's new

2 tailed half

jimbob450

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
620
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
I just got home from the bank and opened 2 rolls of
halfs. first roll, nothing unusual, second roll, the last
coin i looked at was a coin which had been stamped
with the great seal on both sides. My first thought
was a forgery but i cant find any cuts or anything
wrong with it and obviously no date. Any ideas?
Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
They are made after mint for novelty purposes. I have a 1964 Kennedy two headed coin and you cannot see where they were spliced together at all. All of the reeded edges match perfectly. I guess maybe they just take off the top of one and put it on an almost complete coin, much like the "magic coins" appear after you can get one open.

I did some checking and found out that it is impossible for the mint to accidently make a two headed or tailed coin the way the coins are produced.

Jim
 
Does it have a dull tinny sound? it's really 2 coins machined down and glued togeather.

Mojo
 
I had a quarter like that! It was funny. I learned a magic trick that made a regular coin look like it had two tails, and i was showing it to my friend. He said, no fair it has two tails! sure enough, it did!! I didn't even know that. Too bad theyre worthless >:(
 
I took the coin to a trusted dealer and just like
Coinmojo said, thats what it was. Thanks everyone
Jimbob
 
My wife found one yesterday too. Half dollar is Tails - Tails. It Looks real - only a very fine line next to the rim that could be where they are joined.
 
Two headed or tailed coins will sell on eBay for $5-$10 each.
 
Here's one I found a year or so ago. The coin was hollowed out, the obverse was planed down and a 1967 GB large penny was glued to the back of the obverse. That combination then slips into the hollowed out portion.
 

Attachments

  • trick half.webp
    trick half.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 229
correction- The reverse was planed down and the GB penny glued to the reverse
 
Found two of these double-tails JFK's. I also found a heads-tails once which was extremely light so I know it was a magician's coin. I regret that I dumped it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom