blueberra
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 15, 2009
- Messages
- 257
- Reaction score
- 844
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Massachusetts
- Detector(s) used
- Deus XP
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Chalk this one up to losing one's fastball or just plain screwing up.
First the backstory ... a year or so ago, my dump bank apparently upgraded the software on their coin machine and two things happened -- it now accepted half dollars and it rejected silver (like CoinStar and other coin machines one finds in the supermarket).
I know for a fact that it rejected 90% and 40% silver halves because a teller showed me the coins.
Now the story ... like a lot of CRHers, I don't examine the coins (in my case I only search half dollars) one-by-one; rather I just check the rim. I'm looking for silver primarily and also impaired proofs which are fairly easy to spot because of the wire rim which makes them appear thicker.
Silver is usually easy because it's 'white' although tarnish can mask that, so let's just say any coin that isn't showing copper gets pulled for individual examination.
There is a chance that I might miss an impaired proof but I don't think I've missed any silver -- until two weeks ago.
About 1/3 of the way into dumping my halves, I heard the clunk of a rejected coin. Upon review, it looked like it might be a proof, but did not appear to be silver. Of course, not wearing my glasses didn't help.
When I got home I used an eye loupe and I still didn't see any obvious sign of silver, so I weighed it. 12.49 grams which is consistent with 90% silver halves.
So, someone dumped a 90% silver proof coin and the coin machine rejected it, much to my delight.
First the backstory ... a year or so ago, my dump bank apparently upgraded the software on their coin machine and two things happened -- it now accepted half dollars and it rejected silver (like CoinStar and other coin machines one finds in the supermarket).
I know for a fact that it rejected 90% and 40% silver halves because a teller showed me the coins.
Now the story ... like a lot of CRHers, I don't examine the coins (in my case I only search half dollars) one-by-one; rather I just check the rim. I'm looking for silver primarily and also impaired proofs which are fairly easy to spot because of the wire rim which makes them appear thicker.
Silver is usually easy because it's 'white' although tarnish can mask that, so let's just say any coin that isn't showing copper gets pulled for individual examination.
There is a chance that I might miss an impaired proof but I don't think I've missed any silver -- until two weeks ago.
About 1/3 of the way into dumping my halves, I heard the clunk of a rejected coin. Upon review, it looked like it might be a proof, but did not appear to be silver. Of course, not wearing my glasses didn't help.
When I got home I used an eye loupe and I still didn't see any obvious sign of silver, so I weighed it. 12.49 grams which is consistent with 90% silver halves.
So, someone dumped a 90% silver proof coin and the coin machine rejected it, much to my delight.
Attachments
Upvote
0







