2 truffle species

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First three photos are of Tuber gibbosum, with an extremely dark gleba (interior) and fairly thin peridium (outer shell) which, when scratched with a fingernail, should show some grayish interior (gleba), even when immature. When mature this truffle can be nearly black, and often gets darker when dried. Unlike many European truffles, nature made truffles in the Pacific Northwest to be dried. Many animal species dig and dry the truffles on limbs and crooks of limbs, then stored the dried truffles in larders/caches for later consumption.

The last four photos show the more commonly collected Tuber oregonense, which usually fruits earlier in the year and lasts into February many years. These specimens are about as ripe as they are likely to get, and rarely, if even, get darker colored than these.

In terms of aroma, Tuber gibbosum in my opinion is the stronger aroma, with elements of dried morel (which it is related to), plus butter, Tillamook cheddar cheese, and fresh-roasted hazelnuts.

Tuber oregonense also has elements of dried morel, butter, cheddar cheese and fresh-roasted hazelnuts, but has only about 40% of the aromatic strength of Tuber gibbosum. Many people prefer Tuber oregonense. I prefer T. gibbosum. But both are exceptionally good in omelettes, ground into fresh sausage, or added to pork-fried rice. Bon appetite!

I am informed they match many good wines as well, but cannot personally vouch for that: I am diabetic and regretfully cannot have wine and take my diabetic medications. <sigh>

Attachments

• Tuber gibbosum1.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum1.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 561
  • Tuber gibbosum2.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 557
  • Tuber gibbosum3.JPG
    Tuber gibbosum3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 547
  • Tuber oregonense1.JPG
    Tuber oregonense1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Tuber oregonense2.JPG
    Tuber oregonense2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Tuber oregonense3.JPG
    Tuber oregonense3.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Tuber oregonense4JPG.JPG
    Tuber oregonense4JPG.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
wheelerite said:
Last picture has extra protien on it. are those local to portland?
ksmith
Not local ONLY to Portland. Common throughout 'shroom land. Probably Sclerid fly larvae, which go through their complete life cycle in 3 days time. What you are looking at is only the 2nd of 5 stages, so still young and tender.<G>

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Cap'n Crunch said:
You're making me terribly hungry.
Sorry.<G> I have to stay in the same house with them. It's getting a little ripe in here... AND tastey, too!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Tuberale said:
Sorry.<G> I have to stay in the same house with them. It's getting a little ripe in here... AND tastey, too!

I can imagine. :P

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Do you have a little piggy helping you find the truffles? Or go solo? Your mention of morels reminds me of long ago when I was a little piggy living in Oklahoma and hunting delicious morels! Happy eating! Andi

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
g-olden years said:
Do you have a little piggy helping you find the truffles? Or go solo? Your mention of morels reminds me of long ago when I was a little piggy living in Oklahoma and hunting delicious morels! Happy eating! Andi
Don't have a pig. Haven't seen a pig hunting truffles here yet. But there were at least 5 dogs present during the forage. Didn't see any of the dog find a truffle, either.

Morels are pretty easy to grow. Run whatever you think the morel is growing on through a chipper/shredder, and use a dried morel as a spore source. I've gotten them to grow several times that way. But it isn't what I would call an economic procedure. Production is sometimes plentiful, but not predictable.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
We need more post's like these.
Great education and pics.
Thanks, Woodland.

Truffles and treasure have a lot in common: both are often found underground, and both can be fairly valuable.

One of the reasons I post them is because regardless of where you live in the US, there are probably truffles nearby. Especially on the West Coast, but not exclusively. While most American truffles are not exactly like finding little golden nuggets, some ARE like finding silver dollars. I was selling Tuber oregonense and Tuber gibbosum for $300/lb. That would make a lot of the truffles I found yesterday worth about $10-$30 each. And the really nice thing about truffles is that you can pick them now, and they are often at the same tree next year too. Think of truffles like a perennial silver coin bank.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Looks delicious- except for the worm coming out of the last one!!! :o Many of my past mushroom finds in the northeast turned out to be wormy disappointments when I got home. Never had the Oregon truffles, but hope to some day!

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
rhedden said:
Looks delicious- except for the worm coming out of the last one!!! :o Many of my past mushroom finds in the northeast turned out to be wormy disappointments when I got home. Never had the Oregon truffles, but hope to some day!
There are several truffle species in New England. The good news is that lots of snow acts as insulation for many truffle species, and can stall their ripening, sometimes for months. Just saying there could be good truffles much closer to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread