cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the good fortune of two recent large cent finds that are in much better shape than I usually find them, the 1819 just the other day, the 1818 earlier in the month:

QrUlaRjpTVuNuuD8Z%DKJw_thumb_15.jpg

A question for the experts; the 1818 has no denticles around the rim, which doesn't appear to be the case in any of the varieties I've looked at in Red Book or on the web. They're not worn down, just not there at all. Does anyone know if there were varieties that were a plain rim?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Upvote 17

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Budget cuts. Seriously, I don't have a clue. Maybe a different mint.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on 2 very nice Large Cents. I'm not an expert, but I will give some easy advice. I Googled "1818 Large Cent without Denticles", and a few articles came up along with some pictures. You can do that, and just dig in until you find an answer. Either that, or take it to your local coin shop, I'm sure they could help you.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful old coppers! :occasion14:

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on such nice condition LCs! They rarely come out of the ground looking like that. From my experience in finding these (and I've found quite a few) some of the date varieties didn't have pronounced denticles. They were more or less beaded-like borders, and these raised portions of the coin wore down quickly once in circulation, giving the appearance of a smooth rim. I think this is the situation in your case. For the 1818 LC there were 10 varieties (Newcomb 1-10). Your coin is likely either a Newcomb 1 or 9 variety. There's also a Newcomb 5 that is similar, but it's quite rare. Take a look at: 1818 Large Cent Varieties and peruse those I mention. The Cent Book by John Wright is the best source for middle date LC varieties if you're interested in going further, but admittedly it's quite hard to find nowadays seeing it's out of circulation. Regards.

John

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the good fortune of two recent large cent finds that are in much better shape than I usually find them, the 1819 just the other day, the 1818 earlier in the month:

View attachment 1610725

A question for the experts; the 1818 has no denticles around the rim, which doesn't appear to be the case in any of the varieties I've looked at in Red Book or on the web. They're not worn down, just not there at all. Does anyone know if there were varieties that were a plain rim?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

No Expert but trying.
I'd say a lighter strike & 'mostly ' wear took the coins denticles.

Very nice coins , I still have never dug a LC & except the one that was ground or sanded into a disc with 3 small holes put in its center (made into a large Button).

I'm gonna hit the NE someday , those LC 's must SCREAM , My 1266 X would eat them up , 'I assume' ???
GD & Great finds.
Davers

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing finds i need one of those in my bucket some day great post thanks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possible, but not likely, a forged coin. That is not to say it is worthless but some coins back then were forged..... back when they were worth something. ╦╦Ç

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Budget cuts. Seriously, I don't have a clue. Maybe a different mint.

There was no other Mint than the Philadelphia Mint until the Charlotte Mint opened in 1836 and the Dahlonega and New Orleans Mints which opened in 1838. The Charlotte and Dahlonega Mints only produced Gold coins and the New Orleans Mint only produced Gold and Silver coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on 2 very nice Large Cents. I'm not an expert, but I will give some easy advice. I Googled "1818 Large Cent without Denticles", and a few articles came up along with some pictures. You can do that, and just dig in until you find an answer. Either that, or take it to your local coin shop, I'm sure they could help you.

Yes, of course I tried that, I'm from the GTS generation (Google That S**t)...but of course you never get an easy answer unless you're asking how to make fried chicken or what day Christmas falls on this year. LOL

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two came up real nice . It is somewhat rare to find nice ones like those two, Most times it is due to unfertilized soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread