Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great year, great finds, and great display cases. I only wish I had the skill to build something like that, but one day I may hire someone to do it. :)

It could be true you may never have a better year for the accumulation of good finds, but you can still chase the big one! And it's surprising how much one absolutely killer find can account for, so don't believe for a second there's no chance at a better year. My best year was actually my 2nd, 2001 where I found both my best coin and best button and a whole lot more, so I have never had a year since that has been close. But I have still found some great stuff, and one of these days, well say years, I am going to find something so good that it along with everything else I'll dig I'll be able to say I finally beat 2001! Research is definitely the way to go, and remember to always be greedy... hunt many sites, the ground will never object.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful displays. Nice to see you mention you have one display limited to a single site. I feel that is the best way to display finds as it keeps them in historical context and often allows the history of a particular site and often particular family to be preserved. So many times people put all their coins together , then all buckles,etc,etc. In the process you loose where and when you found them and what goes with what(unless you categorize them). It sounds preachy but I think it makes us detectorists of historic sites more than the hackers the archaeologist types think we are.

Thank you and I Completely agree. This site was significant enough to warrant this sort of preservation and display effort. All my other stuff throughout the years is grouped together in multiple cases, and while I've worked some good sites before, nothing comes close to this one. Therefore I took the time to build the cases and preserve each piece.... the result is something I enjoy staring at for hours and feel good about the preservation of history. It's cool to know that all the stuff from the various people that lived there and lost it, is back together again and displayed... as well as shared on here for others to enjoy.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tour! Your finds and displays are inspiring, and I appreciate your whole approach. Look forward to next year!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great year, great finds, and great display cases. I only wish I had the skill to build something like that, but one day I may hire someone to do it. :)

It could be true you may never have a better year for the accumulation of good finds, but you can still chase the big one! And it's surprising how much one absolutely killer find can account for, so don't believe for a second there's no chance at a better year. My best year was actually my 2nd, 2001 where I found both my best coin and best button and a whole lot more, so I have never had a year since that has been close. But I have still found some great stuff, and one of these days, well say years, I am going to find something so good that it along with everything else I'll dig I'll be able to say I finally beat 2001! Research is definitely the way to go, and remember to always be greedy... hunt many sites, the ground will never object.

I totally agree about hunting multiple sites!!
I try to find 1 or 2 in every area around were I happen to be working..
And also, I dont be a pest at 1 site..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree about hunting multiple sites!!
I try to find 1 or 2 in every area around were I happen to be working..
And also, I dont be a pest at 1 site..

Believe it or not Ironhorse and I have to find a new place to hunt pretty much every time out. A site very rarely lasts more than 1 day.

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great display of relics. I looked at every artifact. I would love to find a complete shoe buckle too and the ornate tombac buttons are awesome. I've detected some early sites, but not sure where a trash pit is. How do you locate one? I would love to try sifting. Of course the ground is so wet now, I would have to wait until summer.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great display of relics. I looked at every artifact. I would love to find a complete shoe buckle too and the ornate tombac buttons are awesome. I've detected some early sites, but not sure where a trash pit is. How do you locate one? I would love to try sifting. Of course the ground is so wet now, I would have to wait until summer.

I love shoe buckles. They are my all time favorite relics. Kept digging lots of buckle pieces and frames missing chapes, but always wanted a complete one. I got that complete buckle about 30 min after the war of 1812 bayonet. I had the biggest dumb grin on my face as I walked to my pack to put the buckle away... bent down, and almost stabbed myself in the chest with the bayonet. Haha

This pit isn't a "pit", it was a "pile". I found it by lots of pottery and oyseter shells in my plugs, along with lots of rose heads and square nails. So, look for that, and open a section and sift it. This pit is no more than 12" deep and huge. Now, if I could find the privy pits, I think I'd get into the best stuff yet.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not Ironhorse and I have to find a new place to hunt pretty much every time out. A site very rarely lasts more than 1 day.

Well I would have to tell you my friend, It might be time to try a new detector, and go back over sone of your old spots..
Hell, sell me some of them buttons you have for one! Lol

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
So much to take in!
The past three years with this year in particular have been nothing but unbelievable from what your pictures show. To have just one site like the one that has given you so much would be a lifetimes worth of detecting for some of us. You have age, history,and population on your side, all those things tally up the amount of quality finds you were able to save from the ground.

Congratulations on your successes and continued good fortune in your future!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Brad - if you keep finding this much every year your wife's gonna love ya :laughing7:. But wow, what a massive assortment of relics and coins that you've displayed in an extremely professional manner that would be the showcase of any museum. I'm really glad to see that you took so well to sifting as it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it definitely paid big dividends for you. And it's great to see someone else with a great appreciation for iron which most don't want to dig or pay attention to. Many of your best finds are of the ferrous variety, and just look at what you would have missed out on if you overlooked that stuff. I've thoroughly enjoyed following your adventures as well as your passion (and meeting you of course), and hope you can top this year's finds in 2016. Happy New Year to you and family.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So much to take in!
The past three years with this year in particular have been nothing but unbelievable from what your pictures show. To have just one site like the one that has given you so much would be a lifetimes worth of detecting for some of us. You have age, history,and population on your side, all those things tally up the amount of quality finds you were able to save from the ground.

Congratulations on your successes and continued good fortune in your future!

Thanks IH! Everything in this post was found from April 11th 2015 - Dec 28th 2015. I actually left out modern silvers and a couple colonial items I found in Jan 2015. This post started with the Bust Half, 2 reale, 1 reale pocket spill and ended with the Rev War sling buckle and 1734 KG (at the bottom picture from a diff site) The two years before this one since I got back into the hobby have been mediocre... with a Eagle breast plate, random colonial relics and modern silvers in 2013 and 2014... never had enough to do a year end post, so this is my first one.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Brad - if you keep finding this much every year your wife's gonna love ya :laughing7:. But wow, what a massive assortment of relics and coins that you've displayed in an extremely professional manner that would be the showcase of any museum. I'm really glad to see that you took so well to sifting as it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it definitely paid big dividends for you. And it's great to see someone else with a great appreciation for iron which most don't want to dig or pay attention to. Many of your best finds are of the ferrous variety, and just look at what you would have missed out on if you overlooked that stuff. I've thoroughly enjoyed following your adventures as well as your passion (and meeting you of course), and hope you can top this year's finds in 2016. Happy New Year to you and family.

Thanks a ton Bill and thanks for encouraging me to sift. This case would be half full if it wasn't for for advice. and encouragement.. and I made the best looking painted sifters out there. ha She typically says "more buttons? really?" She was very impressed with the War of 1812 Bayonet, but the Brown Bess Bayonet she didn't like... too pitted maybe? lol She really liked the 1722 Pistareen. When I reconstructed the Davenport Bowl I was missing one tiny 1/4" triangle shard.. I showed her and she said "Well, you're still missing a piece" :laughing7: Oh.. and she really liked the two complete iron keys that I showed her after electrolysis (hard to see in these pictures, but they're in there). So its hit or miss.

I do love the iron to a fault. I find the rose heads are easiest to find after I tumble the nails. So after each hunt I toss them in my tumbler by the handful. The byproduct is tons of square nails. This is just half of them. I have 4 of these containers filled with ferrous and non-ferrous, as well as lots of pottery and glass. Mostly sorted. After a sifting trip, I'll see if I found any pieces to complete any of the plates\bowls\mugs I'm working on rebuilding.

IMG_20151230_202447070.jpg

Thanks a ton Bill and happy new year to you and your family. I need to hit the books and find a couple new colonial spots for 2016.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a very good year and yet your post has motivated me to "step it up". I love logging on here because I always get motivated: you, Bill, Vino, IP & IH, Dan, Steve, Don, Abe, (and forget about them guys across the pond), and many many more always get me amped!

Congrats on a great, correction, phenomenal season, and many many more brother. Museum quality finds, skilled detectorist, and killer researched spots. Legendary brother. Brad - you rocked it this year!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a very good year and yet your post has motivated me to "step it up". I love logging on here because I always get motivated: you, Bill, Vino, IP & IH, and many many more always get me amped!

Congrats on a great, correction, phenomenal season, and many many more brother. Brad - you rocked it this year!!!!

Thanks a ton Steve! Its funny because I would say the same thing right back to you... "you, Bill, Vino, IP & IH, and many many more always get me amped" I get "Surprise LCs" and you get "Surprise GWs" haha Its awesome that we use everyone's awesome finds on tnet to draw some motivation to get back out there... a friendly competition. There's been many hot days I don't feel like swinging, but seeing something cool on here gets the imagination going and I find myself swatting mosquitoes with my coil when its 90 degrees out.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved to see the evolution of your displays. I'd say you had a stellar season after looking at all 27 pics. I can see an addition will be required in a few years if you keep this up.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most everything worth saying has already been said. So I'll just mention the elephant in the room. hate to tell ya bro . . . but you're out of space . . . AGAIN. Well done, man.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most everything worth saying has already been said. So I'll just mention the elephant in the room. hate to tell ya bro . . . but you're out of space . . . AGAIN. Well done, man.

I know! I guess its a good problem to have :laughing7: A couple days ago I just moved the dozen or so pewter spoon parts out of the case and into storage to make room for the Pilgrim Hat Insulator. I suppose, ill just keep the best stuff on display and store everything else. If 2016 puts me into another site like this, another case will be in order.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A true statement of passion in those pictures Brad, congrats on the great year you've had and when seeing the totals put together, well I'm very impressed.
All the best in the Hew Year coming up.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a ton everyone for taking the time to comment. My posts tend to be long and include a lot of pictures, so thank you all for reading and checking all that out. Almost all of the things in the case I have included in my posts this year. (except for some iron that I was doing electrolysis on) Seeing all of it together makes me realize just how much I hunted this year. haha 75% of the time I work from my home office and that case is directly next to my desk. It never gets old staring at all those relics.

Happy New Year everyone and thank you all again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread