2nd century enamelled brooch

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was planning on getting out for a whole days detecting today but had forgotten that it was the start of the pheasant shooting season. I had a quick chat with the local gamekeeper and he told me they would be in my area in around 2 hours so I got right out there and started swinging. Theme of the day was shooting as I could hear the guns through my headphones as I went about my search, as usual I was digging plenty of cartridge bases and had a lot of game birds around about as I dug.
After hitting 2 cartridge bases in a row I got another 2 way high tone signal and thought it was to be another. When I pulled the target out at first glance that seemed like what I had found but the weight in my hand was not quite right. Brushing the dirt from it carefully I saw a bit of blue enamel and knew straight away what I had turning it over I gingerly brushed off a bit more dirt and was pleased to see the pin was still intact :tongue3:
I stored the brooch away and carried on next signal was.... You guessed it another cartridge base closely followed by a nice Roman coin.
The beaters for the shoot started to arrive so time was up and I headed home, getting home I gave the brooch a gentle rinse and revealed some nice red enamel and a circular pellet design.
Other finds for the day were a musket ball,lead button, shield shaped harness mount and some tombacs.
I have pictured the brooch with a cartridge base for size comparison.

George
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 9

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm a bit surprised to see a second century date on this because the pin back parts look more modern - but have no expertise on
second century jewelry . Nice Find .

OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm a bit surprised to see a second century date on this because the pin back parts look more modern - but have no expertise on
second century jewelry . Nice Find .
If it ain't broke don't fix it :laughing7: It amazes me that we are still using the same basic technology nearly 2 thousand years later.
George...

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an awesome and incredible find in my opinion. just out of curiosity, how do you know it's that old? how do you date something like that?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good example, congrats.

OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an awesome and incredible find in my opinion. just out of curiosity, how do you know it's that old? how do you date something like that?
These types of brooch turn up quite regularly here in the UK. The crude casting/workmanship and basic enamelling are an indicator of age and referencing previous finds will confirm the age. Other examples can be seen here.
Disc Brooch - UK Finds Database -

George...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most finds like this are dated by association in sealed archaeological layers. That can be with other known dated objects or carbon dating. Although the Romans kept great records & sometimes we know who made it & where. (not this case though)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great piece of mind boggling age! It's great that the pin is still attached and functioning.

Cheers
Steve

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey George,
Dont mean to high jack your thread. But I found this a few months back. It looks hand painted. It was found at a very early meeting house.
Anyway you could date it.
Any help would be great.
George

Attachments

• 1444483868955.jpg
    1444483868955.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1444483929426.jpg
    1444483929426.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 44

Obelix

Oct 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful brooch first centuries! My congratulations ! It is a rare find!

OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's no problem Vino. I would hazard a guess at it being late Georgian or early Victorian. The style of clothing of the sitter with the neck ribbon and straw bonnet are late Georgian fashions but the setting looks to be Victorian in style. It could be a marriage of some sort where the portrait has been re mounted at a later date.

George...

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's no problem Vino. I would hazard a guess at it being late Georgian or early Victorian. The style of clothing of the sitter with the neck ribbon and straw bonnet are late Georgian fashions but the setting looks to be Victorian in style. It could be a marriage of some sort where the portrait has been re mounted at a later date.

George...

Thanks so much George.
Thats what I was thinking.
Keep up the great work your doing.
Cheers George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread