What's new

3-4 pounds of pain

mile-ender

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
472
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k., found this last fall, but because I've just signed up I figured I might as well share this one.
After working some mountain paths (really rocky area, big pain, heavy iron content in the rock) for a few hours, I followed one sloping, overgrown one down a steep incline, gettting down to the bottom I found nothing, figuring the day was pretty much a loss, I made my way back up. It was on the way up I got a super strong signal...most of the time these turn out to be huge pieces of scrap so imagine my amazement when I found this...
 

Attachments

  • morning star.webp
    morning star.webp
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,156
  • morning star 2.webp
    morning star 2.webp
    310 KB · Views: 2,132
Upvote 0
WOW.... that is a *fantastic* find!!! I bet that ended your day off on a high note!
Great job & Welcome to T-Net!!! :thumbsup:

Bran <><
 
how about a description of the item including date?
 
CRUSADER said:
how about a description of the item including date?
am I going blind :icon_scratch: or is that a Medieval Mace :dontknow: and whats it doing in Canada :icon_scratch:
 
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
how about a description of the item including date?
am I going blind :icon_scratch: or is that a Medieval Mace :dontknow: and whats it doing in Canada :icon_scratch:

my thoughts exactly, maybe Spanish 17th C, but thats a wild guess, I'm clueless on this one :dontknow:
 
godisnum1 said:
This could have been a mace at one point, which someone turned into a military flail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_(weapon)) or morning star, because of the broken chain link attached to it.

Here is another example of a similar morning star found in Montreal, Canada...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3207104760/


Bran <><
No, that's mine I'm papapico for my photography.
And I'm figuring it's definitely a morning star. There are marks which could possibly be from combat use. I agree w/ silver searcher, medieval, but as for how it's here? No clue. From any images of seen (paintings, lithographs, ect. ) of Cartier, or any early Canadiana, there's never been any morning stars, or maces for that matter.....
 
mile-ender said:
No, that's mine I'm papapico for my photography.
And I'm figuring it's definitely a morning star. There are marks which could possibly be from combat use. I agree w/ silver searcher, medieval, but as for how it's here? No clue. From any images of seen (paintings, lithographs, ect. ) of Cartier, or any early Canadiana, there's never been any morning stars, or maces for that matter.....

AH!!! lol
I was thinking that it looked awfully similar... but I just figured that maybe it was lost by the same race of people that lost yours. lol
Well a "morning star" was the first thing I thought of when I saw it... as far as the age, I'm not even sure.
Definitely looks pretty old...
Hope you can get a solid ID on it!

Bran <><
 
Have you emailed a university or museum to get their opinion on it? I would love to know more about it and why it is in Canada. Assuming it is authenticly old and not some recreation someobdy lost years ago while playing "knights" up in the hills ha ha.

Weird find, want to know more.
 
Cuthroat said:
Have you emailed a university or museum to get their opinion on it? I would love to know more about it and why it is in Canada. Assuming it is authenticly old and not some recreation someobdy lost years ago while playing "knights" up in the hills ha ha.

Weird find, want to know more.
Same thing I was thinking...Contacted museums by phone and e-mail, always get the run around at some point this summer I may just start doing the rounds with it. Bring it down in person, maybe to the university as well.
I can tell you though, holding it, I'm pretty damn sure it's not a reproduction. I wouldn't wanna be smacked outside the head with it ;)
 
That item has created areas of envy in my heart I've solely missed. That is one fine piece of military history.
Carl
 
Cru... would the mold seem mean anything? Could that help date it? It's remarkably clean for something assumed that old...

I dunno... just asking...
 
CRUSADER said:
mile-ender said:
smasheriii2004 said:
could it be Viking?
hoping :)

I think the design is too late for Sandinavian.
you're probably right (unfortunately). I haven't seen any reference to morning stars in use by the Norse.
 
Montana Jim said:
Cru... would the mold seem mean anything? Could that help date it? It's remarkably clean for something assumed that old...

I dunno... just asking...

I not very up on weapons, so won't like to comment. I've seen sandinavian examples & they are not the same.
 
just think of how many possible skulls were split open with that thing. :headbang:
 
can you say ouch
 
use it as a nutcracker... :o
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom