Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was invited to hunt a spot where we've been waiting for the grass to be cut. This spot has produced 60 coppers at this point. They usually come out of the ground quite poor, but there's a lot of them and an inaugural button came out of the site also. I found these 3 over the last couple of days and can't wait to go back. Although they're pretty poor, I found a 1787 Connecticut draped bust left. For the CT collectors it appears to be reverse r. The George II is missing the date as is the Machin's piece. A lot of people who find any George III assume it's a Machin's and most aren't. The easiest giveaway is the shield if you can see it. British pieces have an outlined union jack and Machin's don't. Another giveaway over the regal halfpence is the weight although this isn't always proof as most of the George III pieces you find are counterfeit British half pence and not Machin's. A lot of it comes from my experience over 25 years collecting colonials. These aren't great coins, but it's always fun finding colonials. Flat button wasn't anything special. Maybe I'll post a pic later.

1787 ct obv 8-13-15 reduced.jpg

1787 ct rev 8-13-15 reduced.jpg

machins 8-11-14 obv reduced.jpg

machins rev 8-11-14 reduced.jpg

george II 8-11-14 obv reduced.jpg

george II 8-11-14 rev reduced.jpg

Upvote 2

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh Don, I must disagree. These ARE great coins.

Those of us that dig zinc cents all day think that these coins are just plain spectacular.
Congrats on more great finds. GL&HH.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Don, I must disagree. These ARE great coins.

Those of us that dig zinc cents all day think that these coins are just plain spectacular.
Congrats on more great finds. GL&HH.

Thanks Tom. I know what you mean about zinc cents. They are horrible. Depending on where I'm metal detecting I frequently disregard anything that comes up on my detector as 12:37, which would be a zinc cent. They drive me nuts.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on 3 great coins! Would be happy to see any of those roll out of the ground. I would love to find a spot that gave up that much copper. HH!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt! Amazing catches!

-Lady Liberty is hot stuff...especially on a coin

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have a heart attack to find just one of those coins, was thinking today that someday the zincoids may be valuable just because they disintegrate so quickly...nah. those coins are wonderful.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good find but when you can ID them its a great find

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins Don and good info on the Machins! I've always been fascinated be the Machin's coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread