3 silvers, 1 indian, 1 wheat and a short story

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
In Boise you have to get a metal detecting permit to hunt the parks and school yards. I involves a simple test of recovering a few coins from an inch or two deep with just a probe. Targets rang up to 6 inches (they have been seeding the area for 20 years). I took the test to get the permit and passed with flying colors. I have a few thousand digs under my belt so it was pretty easy. I am pretty sure 99.9% of the people pass with flying colors.

Most people including me want people to have a positive view of our hobby and get pretty angry when we see some of the huge messes that other detectoists make. Some of us even try to clean up a bit after other people who don't see it fit to pick up their pulltab they just dug up.

The reason the permit process began in my city was that some detecorist made a hole and he didn't fill it back in. A girl at one of the schools was running and happened to stick her foot in the hole. I am guessing you can probably imagine what happened. Most of us are very concerned about leaving almost no sign that we have dug around in an area. Although the condition of the turf is important I would argue that picking up a pice of broken glass or filling in a hole that was not made by me is more important than just leaving no signs.

20 years after the tripping incident permits are still required. The casual traveler who just wants to hit one of the local parks may have a bit of trouble. It however does prevent people from just taking a shovel to the nearest park and going to town. Anyhow I think it is a good thing that a permit is requred -- it gives some respect to the hobby.

Now the finds :) haha -- 3rd indian head of the year!! 1905 -- I still have yet to get a coin in the 1800's getting close though -- the wheat is a 1946s and the Dimes are 1946 Rosi, 1944 d Merc, 1943 s Merc. I didn't clean the silvers at all. The 1943 S merc came out of the gound basically clean where the other 2 have copious amounts of tarnish. Just makes you go hmmmm. The Indian head seemed a bit out of place. The feild where I dug these at is HUGE -- 4 basball diamonds -- 2 football feilds -- 2 vball courts -- 4 bball courts and a track. Could be some pretty old finds in the feild looks like the area was in use back in the early 1900's. The Ex2 does love silver dimes!!

Attachments

• 42106.jpg
    42106.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
S

southbound

Congrats on the silver and other nice coins Gabbit!
The story was well worth reading and makes sense.
Vern

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like your story and here we are required to have a permit too.some of the rules that go with permits suck but you get use to it.you have a positive approach to mding,i gree with you.the bad element of mding or ramdoms as i call them only hire a detector for the afternoon and walk around with illusions of grandeur.make a big mess and leave.its is good these people give up so easy.

tinpan

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice finds, WTG!!!
Good luck in gettting a bunch of 1800's this year, & Happy hunting~

Z

ZumbroKid

The dark silver coins still look nice. I think how they come out of the ground like that gives them character. Back in LaCrosse Wisconsin i know a few detectroist that could not pass this test for a permit.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information .....regarding the permits....here in NY you need a permit for some,but not all of the state parks to detect.....Schools on the other hand...you would have to gain permission from someone there and go from there!
Thanks again and nice finds................Seeker

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congrats Gabbitt......I know you're proud. I sure would be! Nice story too.

Happy Hunting,
Moon

OP
OP
Gabbit

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
ThePete said:
The dark silver coins still look nice. I think how they come out of the ground like that gives them character. Back in LaCrosse Wisconsin i know a few detectroist that could not pass this test for a permit.

Haha Pete would you call this maybe Monster Toning !! Rare 1943 S mint mark Merc dime -- buy it now $1.99 S&H $45.00 -- (only on E-Bay?)

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
great finds and a nice reminder for everyone to do basic things that only take a sec.fill your hole and toss the trash. peace,bigrig

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
congrats on the finds gabbitt and its good that you guys do have permit system one of the cities we detect does too .it spells out the areas you can and cant hunt as well as what type of digging equipment. Id rather have permit system any day over the alternative of not being able to detect. It is frustrating going places and seeing large dead areas and then insult to injury trash lying beside it. thanks for the good post
hh
dave+bobbie

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Interesting story and nice finds. Question - does the permit require you to use a probe and do you use a probe?
I don't think I could recover my pull tabs at 5 inches with a probe. :D ;D

Mirage

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I I I I I don't know if I would be able to pass that 'probe' test either! :P Good thing I don't live in Boise.. ;D That's probably one good reason I keep to the country-side! :D

Really great finds Gabbit! Congrats!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread