Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this back in the 1980's when i was civil war reenacting. I know it is a .30 Cal Boot Pistol. But i just wanted to see if anyone can tell me maybe a maker or year. I do not see any markings on any piece. It is percussion cap. I am thinking 1850's but other than that I do not know. I have looked on internet, but have not see one like it yet, close but not exact. Thanks for you help.

boot pistol 1.jpg boot pistol 2.jpg boot pistol 3.jpg

boot pistol 4.jpg boot pistol 5.jpg boot pistol 6.jpg

boot pistol 7.jpg boot pistol 8.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dixie Gun Works (Union City, TN) and Navy Arms (don't recall where they were) used to import this type and others from Belgium and Italy in the 60's and 70's.

Upvote 0

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pistol looks very much like the inexpensive pocket pistols made in the 1850s trough the 1870s. Similar ones were still being offered for sale (price 75 cents) in the 1889 Great Western Gun Works catalog. However, as Charlie R said, reproductions were available in the late[ 20th century, and would now have 40 years worth of aging and patina on them, so it is hard to tell from outside appearance. I suspect yours is of the 20th century because the trigger return spring is a coil rather than a a 'V' spring. I have never seen a coil spring used for this purpose on an authentic 19th century firearm, but they are commonly used on 20th century reproductions. If you can get ahold of a set of thread gauges, check the screws. If they are metric thread, you can assume it is a modern European copy.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concur with Charlie and BAW...

modern repro with a coil spring....

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concur with Charlie and BAW...

The barrel threads off...another way to check

modern repro pocket with a coil spring....IMHO!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread